Eye Contact

I was driving to work this morning thinking about what I have struggled with over the Christmas period and eye contact jumped into my mind.

So I started thinking about why I struggled, but also, what is it used for?

I suddenly realised what it did.

When I was talking to a family member I was really excited and I knew I conveyed that by engaging their eyes, where normally I wouldn't.

So have I struck upon the reason eye contact exists? For the transferal of energy between humans?

I do it when I'm excited, but I now know I may be able to navigate using it to convey other levels of energy I'm experiencing perhaps

Parents
  • That's interesting JT - I've noticed I use eye contact a lot (or, rather, a neurotypical amount) when listening, regardless of whoever I'm listening to, but my variation comes when I'm talking...

If I'm talking about something I have to think about (or, god forbid, anything about emotions or feelings) that's when I avert my eyes.  What I've noticed is that the amount they avoid contact depends on who it is I'm speaking to - if it's a loved one, I'm usually pretty good at bringing them back naturally, but if it's a stranger they'll be anywhere but the person I'm talking to and I have to force myself to look at the person again!! Smiley

• That's interesting JT - I've noticed I use eye contact a lot (or, rather, a neurotypical amount) when listening, regardless of whoever I'm listening to, but my variation comes when I'm talking...

If I'm talking about something I have to think about (or, god forbid, anything about emotions or feelings) that's when I avert my eyes.  What I've noticed is that the amount they avoid contact depends on who it is I'm speaking to - if it's a loved one, I'm usually pretty good at bringing them back naturally, but if it's a stranger they'll be anywhere but the person I'm talking to and I have to force myself to look at the person again!! Smiley

Children
No Data