Joining clubs, classes and groups

My therapist has repeatedly encouraged me to join some kind of club or a meetup group or do a class to get me out of the house and meet people, maybe even make some friends.

I see the point and there are classes I would find interesting, but the thought of going to one of these by myself is just too daunting. I find it difficult not to assume people tend to join these things with a friend and I don’t want to be the weird guy on his own.

Have any of you gone to these things by yourself? Do people really do that?

Parents
  • Yeah I go to loads of stuff like that. It's how I met every person in my life, without any exceptions. I typically attend three dance classes a week. On Saturdays I go to parkrun and go swimming with a group. Once a month I go to mathsjam and attend an online writing group. In January I'm doing a course in aerial circus skills. I sometimes go hiking with a group on Sundays.

I work from home and live alone which is how I have enough social energy to do this stuff 

The majority of people I meet through these activities started attending them alone.

I genuinely don't know how it would be possible to connect with another adult without doing this kind of thing. I guess some people have colleagues?

• Thanks Nathan, you’ve given me hope! I just need a boost of courage now.

Reply Children
No Data