Joining clubs, classes and groups

My therapist has repeatedly encouraged me to join some kind of club or a meetup group or do a class to get me out of the house and meet people, maybe even make some friends.

I see the point and there are classes I would find interesting, but the thought of going to one of these by myself is just too daunting. I find it difficult not to assume people tend to join these things with a friend and I don’t want to be the weird guy on his own.

Have any of you gone to these things by yourself? Do people really do that?

Parents
  • Yes! Can relate to this. I do get those anxious feelings but now I force myself to go because I want to test my own personal comfort levels and get something enjoyable out of my life. Normally it involves masking but for me it's worth it at the end of the day because it got me out and interacting around others, even if it wasn't personal interaction.

When I went to such clubs and groups I found that nobody judges you in a negative way, in fact no one really notices I'm on my own, I don't think they really care. But I was never just the girl on her own, there were lots of people there on their own and that settled my worries straight away. 
    I've started doing autism groups in my area to raise awareness and offer support and fun, and so far quite a few people have attended this, and quite a lot of people are alone when they come. I try my best to welcome everyone and remind them that it's ok to be on your own. All are welcome to bring someone but if you can't or don't want to then that's fine too.
    I spend most of my time by myself. It used to really bother me, especially when I would go out to places but now it's the norm for me and I don't think about it much. The most important thing is that you go out where and when you want and that you have fun. That's what life is really about, having a good time, whether you're with others or on your own.
    So if you really want to do this then I say go for it! You have everything to gain and nothing to lose :-) 
  • Yes! Can relate to this. I do get those anxious feelings but now I force myself to go because I want to test my own personal comfort levels and get something enjoyable out of my life. Normally it involves masking but for me it's worth it at the end of the day because it got me out and interacting around others, even if it wasn't personal interaction.

When I went to such clubs and groups I found that nobody judges you in a negative way, in fact no one really notices I'm on my own, I don't think they really care. But I was never just the girl on her own, there were lots of people there on their own and that settled my worries straight away. 
    I've started doing autism groups in my area to raise awareness and offer support and fun, and so far quite a few people have attended this, and quite a lot of people are alone when they come. I try my best to welcome everyone and remind them that it's ok to be on your own. All are welcome to bring someone but if you can't or don't want to then that's fine too.
    I spend most of my time by myself. It used to really bother me, especially when I would go out to places but now it's the norm for me and I don't think about it much. The most important thing is that you go out where and when you want and that you have fun. That's what life is really about, having a good time, whether you're with others or on your own.
    So if you really want to do this then I say go for it! You have everything to gain and nothing to lose :-) 
Children