Joining clubs, classes and groups

My therapist has repeatedly encouraged me to join some kind of club or a meetup group or do a class to get me out of the house and meet people, maybe even make some friends.

I see the point and there are classes I would find interesting, but the thought of going to one of these by myself is just too daunting. I find it difficult not to assume people tend to join these things with a friend and I don’t want to be the weird guy on his own.

Have any of you gone to these things by yourself? Do people really do that?

Parents
  • Hi I have been going to a craft class and found it really good. Also some autistic people turned up to it.  It is good to find out what suits you and whatever interests you have. 

There is also a website www.meetup.com where one can find meet ups in person or online in one’s area.  Have been on some for Autistic people in person and online.

• Hi I have been going to a craft class and found it really good. Also some autistic people turned up to it.  It is good to find out what suits you and whatever interests you have. 

There is also a website www.meetup.com where one can find meet ups in person or online in one’s area.  Have been on some for Autistic people in person and online.

Children
  • I joined an autism Meetup group for my city (Glasgow) but it has over 500 members and there are only 12 places on each Meetup and it’s the same people every time. By the time I get a notification that a Meetup has been arranged, they’re already fully booked. I assume they are pre-arranging with each other before sending the notification so it makes the group pointless for the other 500 of us.