Joining clubs, classes and groups

My therapist has repeatedly encouraged me to join some kind of club or a meetup group or do a class to get me out of the house and meet people, maybe even make some friends.

I see the point and there are classes I would find interesting, but the thought of going to one of these by myself is just too daunting. I find it difficult not to assume people tend to join these things with a friend and I don’t want to be the weird guy on his own.

Have any of you gone to these things by yourself? Do people really do that?

Parents
  • I have been to lots of things on my own. Fitness, craft, adult learning, community groups. It might be the best thing you ever do. I'm a big advocate for getting out of the house if you are able to. A change of scene does us good. Finding friends is a bonus. I have found a lot of stuff I've been to has been frequented by retired people or those out of work. I've found these types of people generally quite forgiving.

• Thanks. Some of these answers have really encouraged me to give it a go. Next step find the courage to follow through!

Reply Children
  • In addition, doing an adult learning course gives you topics of conversation and usually you are doing stuff alongside people rather than with them. (Like doing a craft or fitness class) so there's an element of inclusion. Languages I think are a good way to interact because the interaction is purposeful rather than social. I think there's a lot to be said in learning for learning's sake. It doesnt always have to lead to anything concrete but it might ignite something in you.