Joining clubs, classes and groups

My therapist has repeatedly encouraged me to join some kind of club or a meetup group or do a class to get me out of the house and meet people, maybe even make some friends.

I see the point and there are classes I would find interesting, but the thought of going to one of these by myself is just too daunting. I find it difficult not to assume people tend to join these things with a friend and I don’t want to be the weird guy on his own.

Have any of you gone to these things by yourself? Do people really do that?

Parents
  • Yes, people do go to these things alone. When I was younger I attended a book club and a dance club, both had people who tended them alone. I went with my older sister, I would never have been confident enough to go by myself. I did enjoy them though, it was nice to get out and be around other people. It made me feel like I actually had friends! I didn't do either for long though, each week there was new people and there wasn't much of a routine and it became too stressful for me to keep attending.

• Yes, people do go to these things alone. When I was younger I attended a book club and a dance club, both had people who tended them alone. I went with my older sister, I would never have been confident enough to go by myself. I did enjoy them though, it was nice to get out and be around other people. It made me feel like I actually had friends! I didn't do either for long though, each week there was new people and there wasn't much of a routine and it became too stressful for me to keep attending.

Children
No Data