Joining clubs, classes and groups

My therapist has repeatedly encouraged me to join some kind of club or a meetup group or do a class to get me out of the house and meet people, maybe even make some friends.

I see the point and there are classes I would find interesting, but the thought of going to one of these by myself is just too daunting. I find it difficult not to assume people tend to join these things with a friend and I don’t want to be the weird guy on his own.

Have any of you gone to these things by yourself? Do people really do that?

Parents
  • I have in the past tried attending all kinds of things alone. I always found it quite overwhelming being around other people and struggled trying to talk to anyone. I never came remotely close to making friends at any of them and didn't really enjoy the experience in the main. I can't tolerate being in group situations where multiple conversations are happening at once.

Over the years I've tried walking groups, a local history group, a birdwatching group, exercise classes, cookery workshops, etc.

The most successful one for me was the local birdwatching group I attended for a few years. I found that easier to tolerate because the people were quieter! They were focussed on watching and listening to the birds, rather than inane conversations with each other.

Yes people do go alone to these things, so you needn't worry about that.

• I have in the past tried attending all kinds of things alone. I always found it quite overwhelming being around other people and struggled trying to talk to anyone. I never came remotely close to making friends at any of them and didn't really enjoy the experience in the main. I can't tolerate being in group situations where multiple conversations are happening at once.

Over the years I've tried walking groups, a local history group, a birdwatching group, exercise classes, cookery workshops, etc.

The most successful one for me was the local birdwatching group I attended for a few years. I found that easier to tolerate because the people were quieter! They were focussed on watching and listening to the birds, rather than inane conversations with each other.

Yes people do go alone to these things, so you needn't worry about that.

Children