Authenticity

So, I was wondering if anyone else feels this way?

We are encouraged, these days, to just be ourselves. But if you have done this and always found the real you is rejected how on earth are you meant to live in the world authentically?

Just ignore the negative responses and persist? Or, like most people in the world with a heart, do you then adjust your 'self' to be less divisive/offensive/turbulent, in order to find a way to fit? (Mask)

Just struggling to fit a star shaped personality through a round hole atm, and it's made me very depressed

Parents
  • if you have done this and always found the real you is rejected how on earth are you meant to live in the world authentically?

I can spend a lot of time with just my dog for company, which helps to offset the outside world. That's how I cope with living authentically, although most of that is not in the 'real' world. 

I consider myself fortunate, in that I have space, now, and don't have to share it with anyone. I didn't expect to be in this position, and am grateful for it.

At work, I expect to have to mask, otherwise I will be rejected- and honestly, I probably will be anyway, because try as I might, NTs can always tell I'm not like them. Constant rejection used to upset me so much. At least now I understand why I'm not like them.

Having said that, in my new job I work with autistic students and also, it turns out, have colleagues who believe themselves to be ND - most likely true, since they're the people I get on with best! Neither is seeking diagnosis, for different reasons. It's amazing how much I seem to have in common with one of them. Perhaps I might even make a new friend, although it's early days.

So I'm in a good place in life, I think. 

But it hasn't ever been like this before. It's been very difficult in fact. 

It's easy to see that a lot of ignorance and misconception exists in the public view of autism - and unless this changes, we're likely to face social rejection unless we mask, I think. 

And it should change! Why should we not feel able to be our authentic selves - at least to the extent that NTs can? 

• if you have done this and always found the real you is rejected how on earth are you meant to live in the world authentically?

I can spend a lot of time with just my dog for company, which helps to offset the outside world. That's how I cope with living authentically, although most of that is not in the 'real' world. 

I consider myself fortunate, in that I have space, now, and don't have to share it with anyone. I didn't expect to be in this position, and am grateful for it.

At work, I expect to have to mask, otherwise I will be rejected- and honestly, I probably will be anyway, because try as I might, NTs can always tell I'm not like them. Constant rejection used to upset me so much. At least now I understand why I'm not like them.

Having said that, in my new job I work with autistic students and also, it turns out, have colleagues who believe themselves to be ND - most likely true, since they're the people I get on with best! Neither is seeking diagnosis, for different reasons. It's amazing how much I seem to have in common with one of them. Perhaps I might even make a new friend, although it's early days.

So I'm in a good place in life, I think. 

But it hasn't ever been like this before. It's been very difficult in fact. 

It's easy to see that a lot of ignorance and misconception exists in the public view of autism - and unless this changes, we're likely to face social rejection unless we mask, I think. 

And it should change! Why should we not feel able to be our authentic selves - at least to the extent that NTs can? 

Children
No Data