Diagnosed, and?!!

Hi all,

i waited 2 years to be assessed on the NHS. I wanted to know how I might process / differ from others, as I was tired of always having issues with work. I got diagnosed as high functioning autistic and that was it. I just have a label. It now means that if I disclose, people say “how can we help?” and I have nothin to tell them. What an utter waste of time a diagnosis was. Is this normal? I mean, I had an expectation of something like: “yes, you have autism and here is how you differ from neurotypical people” so I had some understanding of why I’d been struggling and a way forward. 

did I just get a terrible service, or is this normal? Just slapped with a label and that’s it? 

any guidance, gratefully received. Slight smile

• I suppose the label gives you a protected characteristic- as ASD is considered a disability. Protection should you face discrimination, in say, a work context. 

I think post-diagnosis support is generally poor, unfortunately. 

• After the diagnosis, the centre I was with provided weekly guidance lessons only for several weeks after. Those were moderately helpful. Other than that, off you go into the big old wide world again.

I've applied to a service in Manchester for further support but the waiting list is enormous.

What an utter waste of time a diagnosis was.

I wouldn't put it like that. It was a revelation for me as I can now approach my life aware of why things have gone the way they've gone. A diagnosis at no point was going to solve all my problems, I was aware of that. It just provides you with an opportunity to understand yourself better. Advancing from that will take time.

Immerse yourself into the ASD community. Read books, listen to podcasts, subscribe to YouTube channels etc. You can learn a lot from the community now you're a big part of it.

Your diagnosis can also help with work as you can mention it to employers (if you feel comfortable doing that) and request reasonable adjustments to make your life a little easier (Equality Act 2010).

They don't have to agree to requests (depending on what they are). But the more progressive the employer is, the more welcoming they'll be (i.e. try and work with employers who are actually nice - yes, there are some out there).

• Yes, that’s pretty much it. I was given a diagnosis and sent on my way.

I now have a better understanding of myself so it was worth it for that, but I have received absolutely zero support and so am still struggling just as much as before.

I think in some areas of the country the NHS does provide post-diagnosis support groups though.