Panic attacks

Hey everyone 

just wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding panic attacks? I have suffered them for over 20 years now. Sometimes I can go months without them. Since discovering I’m very possibly asd they are back with a vengeance. Once I’ve been through one I’m usually able to carry on with my day without being too affected. Does anyone have any suggestions in managing them at all please? 

thank you

Parents
  • Can you describe the biological effects? 

I had just mentioned in another thread, I'd been told for years I was having panic attacks until I discovered it was actually Low Blood Pressure and needed more salt and better hydration (not just water). I've since discovered I've had to really mind my diet. Certain herbal teas and various foods will affect it. The quinine in tonic water, for example. Who knew? 

But second, I also have to stop working at a certain point at night or it will be as if I had 5 cups of coffee. Being overwhelmed with too much to do or in a flow-state anxious-excited are both a result of a lack of inhibition in the brain. 

Stress-induced anxiety from external sources. I get a low-grade anxiety when out and subjected to too much artificial light. Apparently this would be from the brain working harder to make sense of the unnatural environment. Similar experiences happen in buildings with poor ventilation or unknown VOCs. I'm hyper-sensitive to my surroundings. Once I remove myself from the problem the anxiety is gone. However, if I have to travel and am subjected to unnatural lighting long enough at night, the headache is severe and might not ease up till the morning. 

I had just written this in the other thread:

Anxiety is part and parcel with Autism and ADHD. They share monotropic-thinking, (monotropism.org) and a different Salience Network. Potentially this is all related to a difference in Signalling, Filtering and Inhibition in the brain from lower GABA and a different design in sending information back and forth from the left to the right hemisphere. A lack of inhibition means thoughts might not shut down as easy but accelerate out of control. On a positive side, one might be driven to solve a maths problem or finish a project. But the body cannot handle this too well after 30. Anti-anxiety meds in a pinch should provide clarity and focus. But long-term a better solution would be a diet which boosts GABA and seeking wisdom and better reasoning skills than our current society might offer. 

A private GP can help. I take nootropics (mushroom complex with Lion's Mane) daily which appears to help over time. 

• Can you describe the biological effects? 

I had just mentioned in another thread, I'd been told for years I was having panic attacks until I discovered it was actually Low Blood Pressure and needed more salt and better hydration (not just water). I've since discovered I've had to really mind my diet. Certain herbal teas and various foods will affect it. The quinine in tonic water, for example. Who knew? 

But second, I also have to stop working at a certain point at night or it will be as if I had 5 cups of coffee. Being overwhelmed with too much to do or in a flow-state anxious-excited are both a result of a lack of inhibition in the brain. 

Stress-induced anxiety from external sources. I get a low-grade anxiety when out and subjected to too much artificial light. Apparently this would be from the brain working harder to make sense of the unnatural environment. Similar experiences happen in buildings with poor ventilation or unknown VOCs. I'm hyper-sensitive to my surroundings. Once I remove myself from the problem the anxiety is gone. However, if I have to travel and am subjected to unnatural lighting long enough at night, the headache is severe and might not ease up till the morning. 

I had just written this in the other thread:

Anxiety is part and parcel with Autism and ADHD. They share monotropic-thinking, (monotropism.org) and a different Salience Network. Potentially this is all related to a difference in Signalling, Filtering and Inhibition in the brain from lower GABA and a different design in sending information back and forth from the left to the right hemisphere. A lack of inhibition means thoughts might not shut down as easy but accelerate out of control. On a positive side, one might be driven to solve a maths problem or finish a project. But the body cannot handle this too well after 30. Anti-anxiety meds in a pinch should provide clarity and focus. But long-term a better solution would be a diet which boosts GABA and seeking wisdom and better reasoning skills than our current society might offer. 

A private GP can help. I take nootropics (mushroom complex with Lion's Mane) daily which appears to help over time. 

Children
  • Hi and thank you for that. I think with me it’s just normal everyday life and particularly the morning rush. My wife works long hours so I have to do the kids, kids clubs after school and get myself to work (this is usually when it kicks in for me. Just think it’s  a bit of sensory overload first thing really. I just feel I need to plan a bit more and have some time out now and again. Having said that this has been going on way before I had children.