Blogging about autistic experiences- do you have any experience or suggestions?

Hi fellow neurokin!

I have recently become interested in blogging about my autistic experience for an autistic led organisation. I have already written a blog for Neurodiverse Connection but I don’t yet have another opportunity to write another one for them.

I wondered if any one else has experience of this?

If so, did you enjoy it? Do you have any recommendations of autistic led organisations to contact?

I have thought about starting my own website dedicated to blogging about autistic experiences but I don’t think I am ready for that yet.

Thank you in advance!Smile

Parents
  • I started doing a blog, very recently, about my own experience and thoughts on my Autism.  So I am not 'experienced', but I can say just writing about this has really helped me unmask to myself. I did not realise how much I was in denial about, and how I had created a false perspective on my own life. As my blog is very new and not advertised I get just a handful of readers, and to be honest I like that. I don't feel the whole world is looking at me, so I just feel comfortable being open in that situation. I did the blog partly to help me self express, but I did want to help create a grassroots level connection...not necessarily a connection where we communicate, but where we can observe others going on this journey of life through an Autistic lense. It helps me a lot to read of others internal experiences, to understand myself, obviously others, and know I am not alone in this. Under all the diverse ways we live and can cope woth/cannot cope with there does seem to me to be many commonalities. For me that really helps to see.

• I started doing a blog, very recently, about my own experience and thoughts on my Autism.  So I am not 'experienced', but I can say just writing about this has really helped me unmask to myself. I did not realise how much I was in denial about, and how I had created a false perspective on my own life. As my blog is very new and not advertised I get just a handful of readers, and to be honest I like that. I don't feel the whole world is looking at me, so I just feel comfortable being open in that situation. I did the blog partly to help me self express, but I did want to help create a grassroots level connection...not necessarily a connection where we communicate, but where we can observe others going on this journey of life through an Autistic lense. It helps me a lot to read of others internal experiences, to understand myself, obviously others, and know I am not alone in this. Under all the diverse ways we live and can cope woth/cannot cope with there does seem to me to be many commonalities. For me that really helps to see.

Children
  • I started doing a blog, very recently, about my own experience and thoughts on my Autism.  So I am not 'experienced', but I can say just writing about this has really helped me unmask to myself.

Hi Nigel

Thanks for sharing your experience! I am so glad blogging has helped you in this way, that’s great!

Under all the diverse ways we live and can cope woth/cannot cope with there does seem to me to be many commonalities. For me that really helps to see.

Great, this is why sharing lived experiences is so impactful!