Referral for assessment

Hi,

My referral for an asd assessment has just been sent. 

I'm feeling really anxious and worried now. I know that that is wasted energy, but I cannot help the way I feel. And right now I'm feeling very fragile. Totally overwhelmed. 

I'm worried that they will reject it. I know without a doubt that I am autistic. 53 years of struggling. 

This recent revelation (being autistic) has come with a whirlwind of mixed emotions. But I finally understand myself, can forgive myself, and i can be kind to myself. And I can give myself permission to use all the tools I've needed for so very long.

I feel that without their acknowledgement, my world will return to me being so hard on myself, feeling ashamed and worse.

I'm seeking a clinical diagnosis for validation (I was treated so badly by my parents), and to help my daughter and granddaughter (who are both struggling themselves). 

How can I overcome this ? I can't see clearly. 

Parents
  • I was 54 when I finally realised I’m autistic, I first felt elated and started processing all of my life, it’s left me in a massive burnout. I honestly thought I was the only person who functions like me, to find there are many others has been a big help.
    I’ve tried explaining how autism affects me to my remaining parent, to be honest it was a waste of time. Elation turned to sadness and anger for all the years of struggle. I find actually allowing yourself self to be autistic helps, the masking is draining. It sounds strange but it’s not your fault for being autistic. The hard part is learning how to harness it. I’ve found listening to audiobooks based on other people’s journey with autism a big help.

I was referred in June 22 and told the waiting list is 2 years. I contacted the NHS adult assessment team this morning to enquire and change my address, people referred in January 22 are now being sent appointments. Hopefully not much longer to wait.

• Thank you for sharing your story. I am beginning to understand that it's a real rollercoaster. 

I hope that all goes well for you in June. 

• Thanks, if I could get a handle on constant anxiety then the rest of my autistic life would be okay.

• Thank you Take5.

I''m beginning to think that the only way forward is accepting myself, and allowing myself to be me (the real me). Regardless of what anybody thinks or whatever decision the assessment team make. 

And I somehow need to learn to care a lot less about how people might judge me, as I begin to unmask. 

I'm going for what someone might see as subtle, when I'm outside of my home. But for me it's huge!

And when I am at home I can be totally me Blush

• Just be

You won’t return to those bad feelings because you know yourself more than anyone. Even if you didn’t get your diagnosis you yourself know that you are truly asd. I have been feeling embarrassed and thinking that how dare I use this site to talk about this but at the end of the day my son is asd and we are so alike and share so many traits how can I not be. 
    I guess like anything sometimes people get it wrong but like I said you know yourself and live with yourself every day and if you’re struggling it doesn’t matter if you have a piece of paper. 

keep positive 

• Hope your assessment goes okay Roy. You shouldn’t beat yourself up about the past. This is who you are and you have got yourself to this point which I think is a massive achievement.

• I think just talking about it really helps and gives you some relief. I told someone today who I have known for probably 15 years and she was so lovely about it. I guess you must have those certain NT people that you have an idea would be a little more accepting about something like this. I thought she might think I’m nuts but it went down very well, only thing is I had to stop myself rattling on about it. 

• I think just talking about it really helps and gives you some relief. I told someone today who I have known for probably 15 years and she was so lovely about it. I guess you must have those certain NT people that you have an idea would be a little more accepting about something like this. I thought she might think I’m nuts but it went down very well, only thing is I had to stop myself rattling on about it. 

Children
  • Thank you Take5.

I''m beginning to think that the only way forward is accepting myself, and allowing myself to be me (the real me). Regardless of what anybody thinks or whatever decision the assessment team make. 

And I somehow need to learn to care a lot less about how people might judge me, as I begin to unmask. 

I'm going for what someone might see as subtle, when I'm outside of my home. But for me it's huge!

And when I am at home I can be totally me Blush

• Just be

You won’t return to those bad feelings because you know yourself more than anyone. Even if you didn’t get your diagnosis you yourself know that you are truly asd. I have been feeling embarrassed and thinking that how dare I use this site to talk about this but at the end of the day my son is asd and we are so alike and share so many traits how can I not be. 
    I guess like anything sometimes people get it wrong but like I said you know yourself and live with yourself every day and if you’re struggling it doesn’t matter if you have a piece of paper. 

keep positive 

• Hope your assessment goes okay Roy. You shouldn’t beat yourself up about the past. This is who you are and you have got yourself to this point which I think is a massive achievement.