I’m not lazy

I’ve had a good career at work, done well. But at the end of 2020 I crashed. Massive burnout. I’ve had a few extended absences since then because there were times when even showering in the morning used up all my spoons.

I’ve managed to do ten months now without an absence of more than a few days but every day is still a struggle and I always run out of energy.

I know the people who’ve known me for years must be wondering why I get so much less done now and the people that have joined the company more recently must think I’m just lazy. But they have no idea how much effort it takes just for me to get through the day.

Does it ever get better? Do people actually recover from burnout?

And how have you managed peoples’ perceptions of your lack of energy?

Parents
  • Get that one!  I've had a lot go on over the past few years and I do feel that I am living life in slow motion with everything taking more energy than I've got.  It's essential not to push yourself too hard, you'll make the burn out worse that way.

Keep a dialogue open with your employer.  I'm sure they'd rather you did less and did it well than burnt out to the point of off sick.  Home working, if you can, might help.  It does for me - eliminates the sensory stressors of the commute and the office, and limits the social to essential meetings - no water cooler small talk and gives me time back to recuperate. It also helps the focus.

Although badly managed burn out can turn into years, it doesn't have to and the good news is they do eventually ease on their own.

As for your colleagues, gossips will be gossips, but perhaps your employer might help with a little "education" for them.

• Get that one!  I've had a lot go on over the past few years and I do feel that I am living life in slow motion with everything taking more energy than I've got.  It's essential not to push yourself too hard, you'll make the burn out worse that way.

Keep a dialogue open with your employer.  I'm sure they'd rather you did less and did it well than burnt out to the point of off sick.  Home working, if you can, might help.  It does for me - eliminates the sensory stressors of the commute and the office, and limits the social to essential meetings - no water cooler small talk and gives me time back to recuperate. It also helps the focus.

Although badly managed burn out can turn into years, it doesn't have to and the good news is they do eventually ease on their own.

As for your colleagues, gossips will be gossips, but perhaps your employer might help with a little "education" for them.

Children
  • Thanks Dawn. I mostly work from home since the pandemic. Go into the office maybe once a fortnight.

My employer appointed a “neurodiversity champion” several months ago who was supposed to educate the staff and make adjustments for us but nothing seems to have come of it. Probably just lets them tick a diversity box without actually doing anything.

I’m glad you think burnout can eventually easy though. You’ve given me hope!