How to get my boyfriend who has been single all his life to get used to being with me.

Hi my name is Rachel and I’m 32 and I have ASD. I am dating a guy who is 42 who is also on the spectrum but the issue is he has never had a girlfriend whereas I have been in a relationship twice before. My boyfriend really struggles being with me he has feelings for me and he wants to be in a relationship with me but he is so used to single life he struggles to accept that he is in relationship. He says he really not used to it and is afraid he won’t be able to cope. How can I reassure him that it will get easier and to help him with such a big change in his life? I know things can work out well between us he is such a great person but it’s just getting him used to being in a relationship with me sometimes causes issues. How can we both overcome this? 

Parents
  • The older we get, the more likely I think we are to become set in our ways.

You have the advantage of knowing what it is like to be in a relationship, but your man-friend doesn't. To him, the prospect of going from being a single man to being one-half of a couple probably seems rather terrifying. I think all you can do is try to be patient and take things at a pace that you both feel comfortable with.

It sounds from what you have stated that you communicate well with each other, and also enjoy each other's company enough to share mutual feelings, which I feel is promising. Thumbsup

• The older we get, the more likely I think we are to become set in our ways.

You have the advantage of knowing what it is like to be in a relationship, but your man-friend doesn't. To him, the prospect of going from being a single man to being one-half of a couple probably seems rather terrifying. I think all you can do is try to be patient and take things at a pace that you both feel comfortable with.

It sounds from what you have stated that you communicate well with each other, and also enjoy each other's company enough to share mutual feelings, which I feel is promising. Thumbsup

Children
No Data