Getting Diagnosed

Hello everyone, I requested to speak with my gp, was wondering how I go about asking to be assessed. I think I have undiagnosed autism/adhd. 

• My GP tried to put me off getting an assessment, saying I was in work and had a roof over my head so everything was "normal". And that it's usually avoidant personality disorder.

I wasn't pleased about that, so pushed back and made sure he filed for an assessment.

Your experience will depend on your GP. If you really want to get assessed, don't let them put you off and push for it. Just be prepared for a long wait, the NHS is pretty devastated right now after the last 13 years of budget cuts under the Tories. 

An alternative route is to go private - if you can afford it.

• Hi, you could do some online tests, AQ50 and radds-r  tests will give you an indication of autism. Take the results with you, if you struggle to explain yourself then make a list of all the ways you think autism impacts your life.

• Hi,

When I went to see my GP about seeking a diagnosis I said that I think I may be autistic and answered any questions she asked. I can't remember what she asked me, but I remember it not being very much and she asked them in a way I could just say yes or no.  I'm not sure if I was lucky and had a really nice GP which made the process very simple, she didn't object or challenge it. She sent off a referral for an autism assessment straight away. 

I understand that some people can face difficulties when trying to get a diagnosis for anything, and especially autism. I had some GP's in the past in which their own opinion has impacted my life negatively. I think if I had gone to them to request an autism assessment I would have faced a lot more difficulties. Hopefully you do not experience any difficulties. If you do, do not give up. This forum can be a great place to seek advice from people that have gone through the same (or similar) experiences, and can offer great advice.