How to overcome shyness and autism

Hi I am 37 years of age. I was recently diagnosed with high functioning autism. It affects my verbal communication such that I find it difficult to initiate conversation and frequently don't know how to respond when people initiate conversation with me. 

I did have a girlfriend a few months ago but we split up due to my inability to initiate conversation with her. She felt I didn't make an effort to talk to her and it was always up to her to initiate conversation. We had multiple arguments on this subject until she decided she has had enough. I did tell her on multiple occasions I am autistic but didn't really help. 

Having special interests really didn't do me any favors as I would concentrate on whatever i was doing at the time and ignore her messages. I had set a specific ringtone to make myself answer her messages. 10 times out of 10 I didn't have anything to say other than what I was doing. I think it made it difficult for her to continue the conversation because she knows nothing about my hobbies.

I feel stuck and hopeless.

Parents
  • Yes you learn to adjust to life. It can be hard, really hard but shyness is a part of autism and you have to embrace everything with your Autism the good and the bad otherwise you will be miserable. 

You can get through these hardships and life will get easier but it can be a long journey to reach the other side. But it's a challenge worth overcoming.

You are awesome never forget that Thumbsup tone1Slight smile

• Yes you learn to adjust to life. It can be hard, really hard but shyness is a part of autism and you have to embrace everything with your Autism the good and the bad otherwise you will be miserable. 

You can get through these hardships and life will get easier but it can be a long journey to reach the other side. But it's a challenge worth overcoming.

You are awesome never forget that Thumbsup tone1Slight smile

Children
No Data