I want to be recognised as a carer for my asd partner

Hi there, I have a child under 2yrs with my partner who has recently been diagnosed with autism. 

I offer him and my daughter at her stage in life a lot of support but I'm keen my employer recognises this and supports me where needed. 

Is this process/assessment only completed via the council? Any idea what level of care allows you to access this status? Kinda sceptical of get it because it's not like he needs a bath from me but he needs a lot of support with cognitive load which is hard to articulate!

• Yes, it's a statuary obligation to tell you about that, but the services never do.  I had a family member with an MH problem some years ago and we really needed the advice and guidance, but I only found out by accident that a 'carer's assessment' was the way to get that despite me asking all in sundry as to where we as a family could go for help to support our family member.

• In addition to what the other members have said, it might be worth taking a look at the following website:

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/practical-support/carers-assessment/

To request a carer's assessment, you need to contact Adult Social Services (through your council).

• As this is a useful thread for anyone reading who may be a carer or who has someone who cares for them here is a link to Carer's Allowance criteria:

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance

• You could apply for a carer's assessment

I've just Googled that + here is a link to how to apply and what benefits there may be (+ a definition of what 'carer' means in this context).

Thanks for this Dawn.

I really could have done with this when I was a carer (for years) for my mother but I didn't know about it.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/support-and-benefits-for-carers/carer-assessments/

• You could apply for a carer's assessment.  This covers all sorts of care needs, not just physical and the carer status may not be permanent (although it would likely be in your case).  Any one who is coping with a loved one with any illness (say a mental break down) or disability (say an elderly person with complex physical problems or a an autistic person who requires some level of support) can be a carer.

What happens next depends on the need and the type of care you need to provide.  Sometimes it's just being put in contact with support groups and networks, or emotional support to look after your mental health, or it might extend to things like respite or advice and provisions for practical support.  You need a conversation with them to ascertain need.  There are sometimes official labels and tick boxes with these things.  I am marked as a carer for my elderly parents for instance with my GP.  Because of that they give me a COVID jab along with them as it puts them at risk if I bring COVID to their house.  Sometimes, it can trigger carer's allowance (although maybe not in your case).

It's all a bit wooly, I'm afraid.  Good employers will generally recognise that you have carer responsibilities and should have policies in place to support you; flexible working for instance.  The criteria is normally that you just have some level of carer responsibility.

I am unsure whether you approach the council or the NHS to get a carer's assessment.  I would approach your GP's reception or your local carer's charity to see how you kick start the process.

• What do you mean by 'recognised'?

With regard to the council, I'm a bit lost - what would the council provide?

I'm not quite clear what exactly you are looking for.