Autistic memory

I've not Googlerated this so I'm starting from quite a low point of knowledge.

I know that we can tend to have very good memory in certain areas and I know about the autistic savant.

So, what do you know about how our memories work and why?

Mainly though, what is your memory like?

What do you remember and what do you not so well?

I have an autistic friend and he can quote back to me the day of the week, date and year a lot of events happened -  small events, things like the day we went on a day trip somewhere over the whole of his life - he's 63.

I don't have that kind of gift but I have realised in recent times that my memory is quite unusual.

I do remember being in the pram and then the pushchair.

However, what I remember really well is places, events in my life and people and the things that people say, going back all 6 decades.

I can mentally walk through every room of the places I've lived in during my life and even where the furniture is.

How about you?

• For me it is selective. I can remember the words to songs, if I like the song. This fades after about 7 to 10 years but all I have to do is hear the opening stanza and it all comes back to the fore. I can also remember being pre-language, mesmerized by lights and sounds.

I can also remember conversations and what people said. This can be a problem. It has made me realize most folk don't remember what they said or what opinion they happened to have at a given point inn the past, sometimes even earlier in the same conversation.

I think the main difference from a ND and an NT brain - again just my opinion-  is that the NT brain will flit lightly over the pond, skimming like a beautiful dragonfly. An ND brain zoom in on something and register it in depth, sometimes at the expense of other details in the "scene". I may stare hard, trying to figure how someone cut their new mustache in a new way and how it's different while not really hearing what they said, just captivated by their mouth and mustache moving. This is how my own brain works in any case.

I have a bad habit of not paying very too close attention to my MT friends conversations. I have to watch that. Sometimes they surprise me with their perspicacity.

• My mom is amazed how I can “play” some dialogues and conversations that took place years ago, like a recording. I also remember a lot of places with details, some of them I visited as a 5 year old, now I’m in middle thirties. 

• Hi 

My visual memory is very good and more centred around events and conversations. I’m not sure if this is because I very often go over what I said to make sure I came across in the right way. I can remember my responses to things from years ago.

music also creates a mental picture for me and takes me back to sometimes good and sometimes sad times, it’s almost like watching it in my mind but I’m actually in it (hope that makes sense)? 

Sadly my day to day memory is terrible and was thinking… how many years will it take until I can remember certain things. I mean my memory must have always been this way so at some point it must register? 

I find it really odd

• I have wondered if this is what's generally meant by a photographic memory. In my case I don't remember *everything*  I've seen, it's just my best chance of remembering is by sight.

I cannot remember things based on numbers very well (family birthdays, appointments etc.)

I only tend to read non-fiction/text books and it's really frustrating to not be able to retain all that information that I've spent hours ingesting.

I can return to a single tree in a forest that I have only visited once before!

Important things I've heard that I need to remember, I tend to automatically repeat to myself, a way of boosting the memory? (Echolalia?)

• I thought I'd just bring this back up again (I am the OP) because the thread about phones reminded me of something.

I have a very acute visual memory.

So, for example, I can remember all the places I've lived in (loads) room by room, the furnishings, layout etc.

I remember the colour of my childhood toys etc.

I can remember drawers in a sideboard in a house 50 years ago and what was in them.

Could this be an autistic trait?

Does anyone else here share this?

• Glad to hear it isn't just me. It is so strange though as I can't control it, and it isn't a conscious thing like at all. Just in the specific instance my brain is amazing. Whenever I really need it my brain can sometimes be amazing but in other instances not so. Also happy you are back.  Slight smile

• Yes, I do that too Relaxed

It’s like the brain is constantly recording and keeps the last 30 seconds so you can play it back when you realise you weren’t paying attention.

• I have the weird ability that whenever anybody asks me am I paying attention that I just suddenly remember the last couple of sentences that were said and can repeat it back word for word. It is very strange, even if I wasn't really paying attention it still works. Other then that my memory is quite bad.

• Mine is related to certain parts of the brain. I can remember songs incredibly well, I remember the South African national anthem from learning it as a 7 year old for example. Whereas names or dates I'm shocking at. I also have ADHD though, which affects working memory. 

• I bet you recall it like 4k T.V.

• Wow some of you have amazing memories! ^-^ 

My memory is actually shockingly bad lol despite my still young age I can't really remember more than a few years ago.

According to my mental health people it's to do with my mental health. I know it's really annoying whatever it is! 

I struggle with my own memories.

I struggle to remember what I've read.

I struggle to remember what day it is lol.

Hopefully my memory will come back if not by the time I'm 80 I'm going to forget evening :p 

• Dear Debbie,

Thank you very much! Relaxed I had a quick glimpse, this list will be more than useful.️

• One could smell the bakery, the fishmonger and the butcher from the other side of the street, also the cobbler's had an aroma and maybe some I forget.  I think that is now firmly a thing of the past.  Autistic memory? well maybe or maybe not; however I can still recall the smell of the fabric lining in my pram.... I don't know what fabric it was, but the pram had been new for an older sibling born in 1949.  Is that autistic, or do allistics have such recall, I wonder?

Autistic I reckon.

• What an interesting thread.

In case you are interested in reading threads you have missed during your absence, here is a link to a thread of threads I made:

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/adults-on-the-autistic-spectrum/34427/library-of-threads

Welcome back Sunflower

• What an interesting thread.

Not so long ago I was discussing memory with my students and had remarked at the time how my own memory is actually very good. I'm not old in years, I'm only 28 but even so my memory is good and at times almost photographic. This works against me in some ways when it comes to negative memories and my PTSD but it's helpful when it comes to places I've been because I can remember the route I took without having to look up directions.

Childhood wise I remember so much. I remember when I spoke my first word "hungry", and that same memory I remember how my mum called for my dad shouting how I had spoke for the first time. I remember going fishing for the first time with my Grandad, and how revolting the smell was. I was gagging. I was only 7 at the time and my Grandad was almost crying with laughter. What a monster, lol.

I remember so many things from my childhood. It's fun looking back and also nice to know I'm not alone in experiencing this.

• Thanks. I have to try.  Not least because the meds have made me gain 8kg Joy

Feels a bit ridiculous trying to figure out who and what I am or “find myself” at my age, but there you go.

• You paint a wonderful picture

You are a poet

Aw, thanks Ben, thanks Debbie!

You're both very kind Blush

• You paint a wonderful picture Pegg.

I agree.

You are a poet.

• You paint a wonderful picture Pegg.

Ben