Got a diagnosis, what now?

Basically what the title says. I got my diagnosis on Friday, I'm a nearly 40 year old woman, and I have no clue what to do next. I already get PIP for longstanding anxiety and depression, go to counseling on a regular basis, and whilst I'm currently out of work, mostly due to my mental health, I'm already accessing schemes to help me get back into work and receive ESA. What else do I do?

• I've been learning a bit about SEO as I've been setting up and doing my own birdwatching blog, it's definitely something that interests me so it's an avenue to explore. Although blogging has been hard recently as my head has been too focused on other things, I'm hoping I can get back into it now things are more settled.

• I work in content writing, it's competitive to get jobs but a good area to break into (there are plenty of jobs, which is the bonus). If you can do that and learn SEO skills along the way it can open up a lot of doors.

• I was thinking more journalism or content writing to be honest, I think a whole book may be beyond me!

Previous jobs have been a secondary school English teacher, contracts administrator, customer support, accounts payable, and lastly, teaching assistant at a special school. All have which have helped me come to the conclusion I could do with part time work and ideally work from home. Aside from that I'm open to suggestions!

• Hi. Congratulations on your diagnosis! I think how you feel right now is completely natural. I don't think you need to do anything, perhaps give yourself time to process this as it's a huge thing for you and then see how you feel after and where things go.

I saw in your comment just now you're thinking about writing a book. That's an intriguing idea and would probably help you express how you're feeling about the diagnosis and may itself give you ideas on what to do next.

Good luck with working as well. I'm a student volunteer at a nursery, haven't been doing it that long but I'm enjoying it and it's given me purpose in my life which was missing before really.

Cave Troll.

• Yeah, it does feel like I've done most of everything that people have talked about already, in that I've done a lot of work with my counsellor on self awareness and acceptance, have already put what support I can in place and have a pretty well formed idea of what work will look like going forward.

I just wondered if there's anything else I'm missing. Before, the diagnosis felt like it's a big thing but now I'm not sure what I need to do.

• I'm thinking about writing or maybe something related, proofreading or editing maybe. I can do that on my own terms from home which is definitely something I'm looking for.

• My hobbies are pretty autism friendly, I read, sew, garden, birdwatch and kayak. They all have benefits for me from an autism perspective, though the kayaking can be challenging for me at times since certain aspects aren't very comfortable for me. But sometimes it's good to be challenged.

In terms of work, I'm definitely looking for something part time and ideally working from home, there are a few roles about so now I've got the diagnosis out of the way (which was taking up a lot of mental space in the run up) I can start to look properly.

• Congrats on your diagnosis, I don't have any specific advice but maybe have a good think about the type of work you feel you could do and would enjoy. Do you have any hobbies or interests that you could possibly turn in to self employed work?

• Seems all good, hope your move towards work goes well.

Maybe now you can start embracing your life in the knowledge you're autistic. Perhaps take up more autistic friendly hobbies. Keep yourself busy with something - learn a new skill. Juggling, for example, which is great for autistic brains through stress management and stimming.

• i think you got everything covered tbh... there isnt much extra you can do that anyone can offer.