Help with explaining telephone problems.

I’ve had problems with using telephones forever, I get anxiety and just struggle with most phone calls. I’m fine with text messages and emails, I still don’t answer them immediately. I understand the difference with being able to plan replies to texts and emails.

My question is a family member just keeps mentioning how I never answer my phone, “why can’t you answer your phone?” It’s something I struggle to explain, I still don’t fully understand.

Is there a really good link or tube video that will explain the reasons why autistic people struggle so much with telephones? It needs to be in very plain language. I’ve tried to explain to the person but normally just shutdown.

Parents
  • Thanks to all who helped, I sent my mother one of the links kindly supplied to me.

I heard nothing for two days….

The reply came last night , “ I looked at most of it, but my phone shows who’s calling so I do understand why a phone call can cause anxiety?” 
    I really give up, it’s not certain phone calls, it’s all phone calls! 

• Oh, Roy, I am so sorry that your mother failed to grasp what you had been trying to convey, and completely missed the point.

In my case, it generally only tends to be phone calls from my mother that I have an issue with. However, to spare her feelings, I have purposely given her the impression that it applies to phone calls from anyone. Perhaps like your mother, my mother seems to think it doesn't apply to her.

I've lost count of the occasions when I've messaged my mother, and received a reply back saying, "I'll phone you now". I find myself thinking, "Noooooo! Please don't!" Scream

• Oh, Roy, I am so sorry that your mother failed to grasp what you had been trying to convey, and completely missed the point.

In my case, it generally only tends to be phone calls from my mother that I have an issue with. However, to spare her feelings, I have purposely given her the impression that it applies to phone calls from anyone. Perhaps like your mother, my mother seems to think it doesn't apply to her.

I've lost count of the occasions when I've messaged my mother, and received a reply back saying, "I'll phone you now". I find myself thinking, "Noooooo! Please don't!" Scream

Children
No Data