Help with explaining telephone problems.

I’ve had problems with using telephones forever, I get anxiety and just struggle with most phone calls. I’m fine with text messages and emails, I still don’t answer them immediately. I understand the difference with being able to plan replies to texts and emails.

My question is a family member just keeps mentioning how I never answer my phone, “why can’t you answer your phone?” It’s something I struggle to explain, I still don’t fully understand.

Is there a really good link or tube video that will explain the reasons why autistic people struggle so much with telephones? It needs to be in very plain language. I’ve tried to explain to the person but normally just shutdown.

Parents
  • I struggle with talking on the phone. I think its the concentration of listening, i hate it. Its almost like i cant hear the person talking through the fog. I much prefer email or writing letters. Maybe its a sensory thing, because i often feel the same when talking to someone in person. 

• Talking to someone in person without rehearsal is hard work, the opening pleasantries are boring / inane. 

Reply Children
No Data