Does anyone else feel comfortable by themselves but isolated at the same time?

Hello everyone,

As an autsic adult does anyone relate when I say , I feel really comfortable by myself, like my own company but really struggle fitting in and I end up feeling abit isolated.

Does this feel the same for you ? 

Parents
  • I'm not quite an adult.....yet but I do suffer badly from loneliness and isolation. I have no friends I have a pretty big family but I tend to stay on my own in my room because I don't feel like I fit in anywhere or with anyone else. I find people really difficult and confusing. I spend a lot of my time trying to fit in but I can never manage to and still feel lonely and isolated.

• Hi!

What are your interests? I am decades older than you but…  I have found it easier to “blend in” when I find a group interested in the same things I like. Even if not posted as an “autistic group” - I always spot people like me…quirky but open-minded!

In America we use MeetUp - an online way to search for people with same interests. I assume you have this also..?

I have joined book groups (yes, I am MUCH older! lol!). I joined a kayaking club - great fun! It’s a Great way to meet fun people - safely - with same interests.

As for enjoying my alone time… I picked up and flew to Europe and lived in Romania for a summer. My struggles are not with the unfamiliar… and I went alone. Was an amazing experience. If you enjoy being alone, travel! I’ve gone to many other countries alone. I socialize when I feel like it - and am quiet when I want to be. 

Find your strengths and if you are willing to try new things - you can be you, be different AND have fun!  Good luck!

• Hi!

What are your interests? I am decades older than you but…  I have found it easier to “blend in” when I find a group interested in the same things I like. Even if not posted as an “autistic group” - I always spot people like me…quirky but open-minded!

In America we use MeetUp - an online way to search for people with same interests. I assume you have this also..?

I have joined book groups (yes, I am MUCH older! lol!). I joined a kayaking club - great fun! It’s a Great way to meet fun people - safely - with same interests.

As for enjoying my alone time… I picked up and flew to Europe and lived in Romania for a summer. My struggles are not with the unfamiliar… and I went alone. Was an amazing experience. If you enjoy being alone, travel! I’ve gone to many other countries alone. I socialize when I feel like it - and am quiet when I want to be. 

Find your strengths and if you are willing to try new things - you can be you, be different AND have fun!  Good luck!

Children
No Data