Does anyone else feel comfortable by themselves but isolated at the same time?

Hello everyone,

As an autsic adult does anyone relate when I say , I feel really comfortable by myself, like my own company but really struggle fitting in and I end up feeling abit isolated.

Does this feel the same for you ? 

Parents
  • Yes, it's the classic "lonely loner" syndrome. I prefer being alone, but overly isolated myself and ended up with no one to turn to. This year I've made a few friends, though, so that side has improved. For me, that's become much easier to handle the older I've got (late 30s now). It was very difficult when I was younger.

The internet era helps. You can tour through YouTube, listen to a podcast, watch someone streaming on Twitch if you're feeling a bit lonely. Better than nothing, it can help!

My local autism charity does events to attend, too. I don't go to those, but for anyone struggling to "fit in" that's a good starting point. Although I'd suggest not worrying about fitting in at all and just to be yourself. 

I realised a while ago to stop trying to be normal and let some of the eccentricities out. People find you quirky, but most seem to like you for it. Although I do try and hang out with fellow introverts/nerds as much as possible.

• Yes, it's the classic "lonely loner" syndrome. I prefer being alone, but overly isolated myself and ended up with no one to turn to. This year I've made a few friends, though, so that side has improved. For me, that's become much easier to handle the older I've got (late 30s now). It was very difficult when I was younger.

The internet era helps. You can tour through YouTube, listen to a podcast, watch someone streaming on Twitch if you're feeling a bit lonely. Better than nothing, it can help!

My local autism charity does events to attend, too. I don't go to those, but for anyone struggling to "fit in" that's a good starting point. Although I'd suggest not worrying about fitting in at all and just to be yourself. 

I realised a while ago to stop trying to be normal and let some of the eccentricities out. People find you quirky, but most seem to like you for it. Although I do try and hang out with fellow introverts/nerds as much as possible.

Children
No Data