Does anyone else feel comfortable by themselves but isolated at the same time?

Hello everyone,

As an autsic adult does anyone relate when I say , I feel really comfortable by myself, like my own company but really struggle fitting in and I end up feeling abit isolated.

Does this feel the same for you ? 

Parents
  • Yes i feel the same. I have learnt to accept it. People are irritating me, i cant deal with their constant talking. Someone asked me today, will i be wearing a christmas jumper? No, i said, i dont do things like that. I am going to be working on buildng a home for a family in a toy house that i inherited. Im 59 years old  and finally doing what i want to do  and letting people know with no embarrassment or shame. Today people were nosey. Is it just that i say what i mean and dont sugar coat it? I think im suffering with sensory overload at the moment. I am coming to the conclusion that most people are fake. 

So right now, alone is good, at least better than false company. 

The problem i experience with aloneness is the chattet in my head.....

• Oh tulip, I resonate with how you feel so much. I'm 55 year old woman, of similar mind and opinion. 

I am irritated by most people and their expectations, and it's laughable that we are seen as the weird ones.  

• Oh tulip, I resonate with how you feel so much. I'm 55 year old woman, of similar mind and opinion. 

I am irritated by most people and their expectations, and it's laughable that we are seen as the weird ones.  

Children
  • I am 57 and NEVER really cared about what others think. I know social norms but I live life on my terms - always have. The older I get the more I just TELL people I am autistic. I laugh at their ignorance when they say, “OH! You don’t look autistic.”  !!