Sensory Overload

Hi guys, 

I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do when you realise you are in sensory overload (especially with friends or in public). Also, does anyone have any advice on how to prevent becoming sensorily overloaded or how to recognise the triggers? Thank you so much in advance.

Sincerely,

Someone who really struggles with sensory overload 

Parents
  • I find that generally I'm too masked to recognize triggers when I'm out. My counselor says I not only mask but dissociate as well in public. So the way I've been figuring out what's triggering my is by writing it all down when I'm more calm at home after an event. 

Eg. 

6am - woke in pain didn't think to take pain relief. Had a drink couldn't face food

7am -sat in bed. Weather noise outside, windows rattling, rain, dog licking 

9am - walked dog. Cold. Shoulders tense. Wind noise in ears, hat too hot, hip pain, waiting for text response to know whether to stop at friends for cuppa. Cold. Avoidant of other dog walkers

Then I can see I was overwhelmed from the moment I woke and kept getting more overwhelmed by my senses. 

The next step is to plan for the next time. So pain relief by bed,  different hat, another jumper, different coat/different route that avoids the worst of the wind when going out.

Putting that into practice when I go for a walk later, however, will be the challenge because I don't stop and think, I just pick up the dog lead and go!

• This is really enlightening and will help me a lot; thank you!

Reply Children
No Data