Communication Differences.

Just musing more than anything, I’m two years into my autism journey and still learning how differently autistic people understand communication with neurotypical people. 
I would often get into trouble and still do, last weekend my wife was looking on the internet and said to me, “There’s a craft fair on tomorrow.” my answer was, “That’s nice.” I got told off on Monday for closing the conversation down because I didn’t want to go. 
I just said that she didn’t say she wanted for us to go. 
Last night, a silly thing, I nuked some Christmas pudding after dinner and used up some cream that was near its end. I was told that I had looked after myself. My wife told me she had mentioned earlier that she fancied rice pudding.

I know I most probably sound boring, it just made me realise how neurotypical people talk in riddles and don’t just say what they want.

My ideal would have been, “There’s a craft fair tomorrow, shall we go?”

”while your in the kitchen, can you nuke my rice pudding?”

Still just realising how differently we communicate.

Parents
  • Exactly, please say what you want. I say it as it is, to the point. I like others to be the same. Too many people talk in riddles, are ungenuine, two faced. I dont like it. We cant read minds, well not all the time, just sometimes Relaxed

• Thank you, I’m thinking of buying a crystal ball! Just tell me, don’t hint.

I wonder if we just communicate on different wave lengths.

• Maybe we have different expectations. Maybe we ND are more precise, articulate or maybe im talking rubbish, but im noticing that we are some of the nicest, genuine, kindest, honest people i know x

• I think that’s it, I’m different from my previous 50+ years. I’m massively different from the person they know.  Trying to explain isn’t the easiest thing for me, yet I can explain easily here with my own kind.x

• Exactly! So maybe we are no longer who we used to be. We are now more true to ourselves and put our own needs and interests first, maybe in a curious way. I dont understand who i am or where i have been all my life, but im getting better. But you dont want drama for being you, maybe best to talk about it. Its a lot to get our heads around. We dont want to always question our own actions and behaviour. We want to be ourselves, which takes us back to masking. To be ourselves. 

• I just find I’m being told that there are so many things ‘ I used to enjoy’ and now to be honest, I never did. It was easier to just mask and blend in.  I’m in my mid fifties and never knew until 2 years ago, anything about autism, I try to explain in bite size pieces, the unmasking is so difficult. I still don’t fully understand who I am. 

• I just find I’m being told that there are so many things ‘ I used to enjoy’ and now to be honest, I never did. It was easier to just mask and blend in.  I’m in my mid fifties and never knew until 2 years ago, anything about autism, I try to explain in bite size pieces, the unmasking is so difficult. I still don’t fully understand who I am. 

Children
  • I think that’s it, I’m different from my previous 50+ years. I’m massively different from the person they know.  Trying to explain isn’t the easiest thing for me, yet I can explain easily here with my own kind.x

• Exactly! So maybe we are no longer who we used to be. We are now more true to ourselves and put our own needs and interests first, maybe in a curious way. I dont understand who i am or where i have been all my life, but im getting better. But you dont want drama for being you, maybe best to talk about it. Its a lot to get our heads around. We dont want to always question our own actions and behaviour. We want to be ourselves, which takes us back to masking. To be ourselves.