Winter and Functioning

If you are posting on this thread please stick to experience or sharing of positive things and please avoid debate which would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am finding my executive functioning is quite low at the moment due to quite a few challenges at the same time and the limited light. A lot of my forms of relaxation require good light for my vision to be good enough. Each week at work ( I do a maximum of 4 days) feels a challenge at the moment, so I try to celebrate a week achieved at a time. 

I try to find positives in nature that is mostly on the decline at this time of year. My positive for this week is the smell of damp leaves.

Does anyone else find this time of year difficult?

I enjoy reading people's funny experiences on here, but they are sadly lacking at the moment. 

Parents
  • Last winter was my first post diagnosis and by then I had done a lot of autism research. Boy was I surprised by what I found when I conducted what I call "unscientific experiments in autism". This involved going out in a mindful state, taking clothes off, putting things on, trying headphones etc. Nothing rash. 

Last winter I spent time experimenting with sensory difficulties when out walking the dog.

Summary: Winter walking is vile if you're hyper sensitive:

• Cold wind hurts my hands
    • Wind noise pierces my ears
    • I hurt more when cold
    • Woolly hats cut the noise but make my head too hot
    • I can't grip in gloves (essential with a dog lead) but have Reynauds so my hands go white and I can't feel anyway)
    • Wind through ANC headphones is hellish
    • Waterproof clothes make too much noise
    • My feet were going white with cold in wellies and I didn't notice
    • I hate wearing so many layers that I can't move freely
    • Car headlights are really freaking bright and hurt my eyes
    • Low sunlight gets between cap peak and sunglasses and is overwhelming
    • Walking in snow at dusk is bliss because it quietens the world and you don't need a torch to see. 

That's one activity in the winter that I have to do twice daily (because I've always walked my dogs twice daily from childhood) .

For the purposes of your question, imagine everything else that you do in the winter that's more difficult and I strongly suspect that's where our effective function goes - we use it making additional choices to deal with the weather, the light and the cold. 

That's my thoughts anyway lol 

• Last winter was my first post diagnosis and by then I had done a lot of autism research. Boy was I surprised by what I found when I conducted what I call "unscientific experiments in autism". This involved going out in a mindful state, taking clothes off, putting things on, trying headphones etc. Nothing rash. 

Last winter I spent time experimenting with sensory difficulties when out walking the dog.

Summary: Winter walking is vile if you're hyper sensitive:

• Cold wind hurts my hands
    • Wind noise pierces my ears
    • I hurt more when cold
    • Woolly hats cut the noise but make my head too hot
    • I can't grip in gloves (essential with a dog lead) but have Reynauds so my hands go white and I can't feel anyway)
    • Wind through ANC headphones is hellish
    • Waterproof clothes make too much noise
    • My feet were going white with cold in wellies and I didn't notice
    • I hate wearing so many layers that I can't move freely
    • Car headlights are really freaking bright and hurt my eyes
    • Low sunlight gets between cap peak and sunglasses and is overwhelming
    • Walking in snow at dusk is bliss because it quietens the world and you don't need a torch to see. 

That's one activity in the winter that I have to do twice daily (because I've always walked my dogs twice daily from childhood) .

For the purposes of your question, imagine everything else that you do in the winter that's more difficult and I strongly suspect that's where our effective function goes - we use it making additional choices to deal with the weather, the light and the cold. 

That's my thoughts anyway lol 

Children