Universal Credit and self employment... and collapsing life...

Hello people.

This is my 2nd post and it's still not good. I'm sorry.

I need advice please.

I have a fairly recent diagnosis of autism.

I have been self-employed most of my life because I have real struggles with 'normal' employment (and life in general because I'm on the wrong planet).

Most of the time, though I work hard (though erratically), I make very little money and I have large debts and serious money problems. Most of the time I have survived by receiving some benefits from WTC and then the UC (Universal Credit). Before my diagnosis I repeatedly told the UC I had been referred for an autism assessment but they ignored me.

At the end of 2022 the UC applied the "Minimum Income Floor" to my figures so that it looked like I was earning the minimum wage (rather than the reality which was far lower (embarrassingly lower)). The UC payments dropped to £17 a month, and as a result of the imaginary minimum wage I was supposed to be earning, the council charged me full council tax and summoned me to court for non-payment. I ended my UC claim so that the council would stop trying to charge full CT.

It is a miracle I have survived this year so far without any benefits - but my debts have increased and I cannot go on much longer (maybe one month at most before it's all over). I am about to go 2 months into rent arrears too.

My question is this: Does anyone know if the UC would now take my NHS autism diagnosis into account if I re-apply, and would they still apply the dreadful minimum income floor? They will not answer my questions unless I apply first - and if I do that and they still apply the MIF then I'm back into major trouble with the council, so I' afraid to risk it.

I have searched online for an answer to this and there is nothing, which surprises me because I understood that self-employment was very common amongst autistic people, and the average income for self-employed people is less than the minimum wage.

It seems to me that surely it is better all round if they give me a little support to stay gainfully employed doing the only thing that (workwise) matters to me (pottery), rather than forcing me into destitution, homelessness and unemployment?

My life is disintegrating fast - today my very old car collapsed (the chassis broke) in the middle of the road in my local town - it could not be pushed out of the way and I had to stand there on full public view on the busiest day, for an hour, contemplating how my life will not be possible without a car - I even realised that I would no longer have my back up plan of a hose pipe to the exhaust if I choose to leave. The car was towed to a scrap yard and I cannot afford to replace it.

I had a meltdown. I am now calming down after the long walk home, and realising I had nobody to ask for help. I live in total isolation in a remote location. I am so close to everything collapsing, in fact the collapse has already started. My autism also seems to be getting worse, which is difficult to understand - how is that possible? - I'm struggling to know who I actually am. Basically I'm really struggling and very alone. Why can't I stop crying? It's so embarrassing. I'm 56 years old.

I also struggle with messages when there are lots at the same time so please excuse my slow replies (if anyone does answer).

Also, please don't advise me to go to Citizens Advice (they gave me the initial wrong advice that made my situation so much worse), I don't trust them.

Thank you

Paul

P.S. The man who took my car away said I was extremely lucky and if it had happened when driving at speed I'd probably be dead - he said in 30 years as a mechanic he had never seen another example of the catastrophic collapse that happened to my car. Being the extreme or unusual case seems to be the story of my life.

Parents Reply Children
No Data