PIP Mobility Questions

Hi, 

I have recently been diagnosed with Autism with an overall ADSO score of 18 (Autism threshold is 7).

I now want to apply for PIP, but I am a bit confused about the PIP Mobility Questions. I welcome comments from anyone who knows about this.

This is how the questions are set out:

1. PIP Points Scores Mobility Activities

1. Planning and following journeys.

1. Can plan and follow the route of a journey unaided. 0 points.
    2. Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 4 points.
    3. Cannot plan the route of a journey. 8 points.
    4. Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid. 10 points.
    5. Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 10 points.
    6. Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid. 12 points.

2. Moving around.

1. Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 0 points.
    2. Can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 4 points.
    3. Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 8 points.
    4. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 10 points.
    5. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 12 points.
    6. Cannot, either aided or unaided, –
      1. stand; or
      2. move more than 1 metre. 12 points.

Question 1e seems to fit my situation. However, as I need another person with me when I am out and about to ensure I don't get hurt by my actions when I have an Autism meltdown, does this fit better with 1f. on the list?

Also, as I have physical conditions which affect my mobility, can I also get additional points for question 2. or is it Question 1 points only OR Question 2 points only? not the two added together.

Any advice from people who know the answer to this would be appreciated.
Parents
  • not sure about 1f....

can you follow the route of a familiar journey unaided without a guide dog? lol
    do you remember places you have been to and are familiar with them that you know where you are?
    can you see the place your going?

all of that seems to be 1f type of things.... 1f seems more towards someone who has some serious dementia and/or blindness.

1e cant undertake any journey is still problematic as you have just said you can go out and have another person with you to help you when your distressed, so right away you have undertaken a journey anyway.

i dont really like most of the answer selection, id have to score a 0 on everything really because reading each one of them id feel like a liar. alot of them seem pointing at requiring a guide dog, and the closest one you could pick is ruined by its wording as if you say you cannot undertake  any journey... and they catch you out and about undertaking a journey... well yeah theres the problem isnt it?

• not sure about 1f....

can you follow the route of a familiar journey unaided without a guide dog? lol
    do you remember places you have been to and are familiar with them that you know where you are?
    can you see the place your going?

all of that seems to be 1f type of things.... 1f seems more towards someone who has some serious dementia and/or blindness.

1e cant undertake any journey is still problematic as you have just said you can go out and have another person with you to help you when your distressed, so right away you have undertaken a journey anyway.

i dont really like most of the answer selection, id have to score a 0 on everything really because reading each one of them id feel like a liar. alot of them seem pointing at requiring a guide dog, and the closest one you could pick is ruined by its wording as if you say you cannot undertake  any journey... and they catch you out and about undertaking a journey... well yeah theres the problem isnt it?

Children
No Data