I hope you feel better soon - Arrrrgggghhhh!

Is it just me or do others get upset / triggered / frustrated/ uncomfortable when someone says or writes one of the following or similar…

1. I hope that you feel better soon
  2. I hope that you recover soon

I have no doubt that their intentions are good and mean no harm. BUT the problem is that it kind of winds me up. I mean, it’s not like having a cold or virus that you probably would feel much better after a week or so. I find this particularly irksome in the work environment - eg when you contact work to say that you’re struggling and will not be working today.

Am I being overly sensitive? Am I interpreting their good intended words TOO literally? Is there a suitable response to better inform them? Is this really an autistic thing or maybe just me?

Parents
  • Admittedly "get well soon" or a variation of that ("sorry to hear that" too) is my go-to response too. "I hope it eases" is one I often use.

I don't know what the alternative is when someone tells you that they're not well and you don't actually know them personally.

I guess it depends on the situation. It's probably fine if you do have a cold or something. If it's a mental health situation then you probably want something different but I don't know what exactly. 

• Admittedly "get well soon" or a variation of that ("sorry to hear that" too) is my go-to response too. "I hope it eases" is one I often use.

I don't know what the alternative is when someone tells you that they're not well and you don't actually know them personally.

I guess it depends on the situation. It's probably fine if you do have a cold or something. If it's a mental health situation then you probably want something different but I don't know what exactly. 

Children
No Data