Autism Diagnosis - The days & weeks after being diagnosed

I had suspected for the past 2-3 years that I might very well be autistic and have done plenty of research which included keeping an eye on this community forum.

I was diagnosed just over a week ago and whilst it came as no big surprise, it did knock me back a bit to the point where I haven't felt up to working since.
The reality has hit home with me and has opened a Pandora's box - especially when I now look back on events in my life both recent and further back in my past (I'm 52).
I am trying to focus on the here and now, particularly around work and how to approach things when I do return (hopefully very soon).
I want / need to explain to my colleagues about my autism and how that affects my communication - something that has caused them concern in the past.

Yesterday I received the written report for my diagnosis which included some generic website links for advice and assistance. Looking into these has been a bit of a disappointment as the majority do not resonate with me. I have been put on a waiting list for a "6 session psycho-educational small group programme for people recently diagnoses with autism" - not sure how long the wait will be or what it will be like

I thought that I'd start this community discussion with the hope that others would share their experiences of the days and weeks following their diagnosis.
I'd be particularly interested to hear how this has affected professional people who have been diagnosed later on in their life. 

Parents
  • Hi GPK26

I too am 52 and was diagnosed a few months ago. Still on the journey but I do have one bit of experience to share.

I told a handful of people about my diagnosis at work - my manager and three people I’m friendly with and have known for a very long time. My manager has been good about it but the three others have distanced themselves from me and I can only assume they see me differently now or are uncomfortable in some way. It’s been very disappointing indeed.

• Hi GPK26

I too am 52 and was diagnosed a few months ago. Still on the journey but I do have one bit of experience to share.

I told a handful of people about my diagnosis at work - my manager and three people I’m friendly with and have known for a very long time. My manager has been good about it but the three others have distanced themselves from me and I can only assume they see me differently now or are uncomfortable in some way. It’s been very disappointing indeed.

Children
No Data