Trouble sleeping. Part of autism?

My sleep pattern is all over the place. It always has been, since I was a child. I feel tired so I go to bed and I either can't fall asleep or I fall asleep but wake up within an hour and then the rest of the night is a write off! When I'm awake after the first hour I try to sleep but I look at the clock and it's only been ten minutes and the rest of the night goes like that.

I used to lay there and try to sleep, I read online about how doing things keeps you awake but not doing things makes no difference so I stay up now and listen to music. I'm as active at night now as I am during the daytime, I feel tired, but not overly tired.

I feel like I should be more tired than I am. The biggest downside is that I feel worse mentally than I used to but other than that I don't get any adverse effects. Except for constant yawning and digestive problems, like chronic belching.

Ok maybe I do get some adverse effects No mouth 

I don't know what to do about this though. I've always had trouble with my sleep since being a child and it's worse now I'm an adult.

My constant anxiety doesn't exactly help either. I looked it up online and read about fatal insomnia and now I've got that running through my mind. Curse me for going to Dr Google! Sweat smile 

I've tried everything with my room and bed, new pillows, new bed, blackout curtains and my sleep hasn't improved so I'm not sure what to do from here.

I'm open to any advice you may have and thank you in advance.

Parents
  • I have found a really small dose of beta-blockers, propanolol 2 x 10mg a day, is really helping with anxiety.  After a long life time of constant anxiety it is life changing.  I too have always struggled with sleep, and it helps that when I do wake, I am not anxious.  I do breathing exercises when I wake, usually up to 100 then down to 0 then back up to 100 etc.  I also have poems and prayers that I memorise and go over when I wake, to relax.  Finally, I have some meditations and hypnosis which I play.  Often I fall asleep during these, but if remain awake feel that the time has been well spent.  Oh, I have a specific book to listen to on Audible as well, which has a nice voice.....and also listen to rain on a noise (asmr) app.... plus use some herbal supplements occasionally, Kalms and Melissa Dream....If all else fails, half a small dose of zopiclone.

I hope you nail this one buddy, it is tough not sleeping.

Stay well

• I have found a really small dose of beta-blockers, propanolol 2 x 10mg a day, is really helping with anxiety.  After a long life time of constant anxiety it is life changing.  I too have always struggled with sleep, and it helps that when I do wake, I am not anxious.  I do breathing exercises when I wake, usually up to 100 then down to 0 then back up to 100 etc.  I also have poems and prayers that I memorise and go over when I wake, to relax.  Finally, I have some meditations and hypnosis which I play.  Often I fall asleep during these, but if remain awake feel that the time has been well spent.  Oh, I have a specific book to listen to on Audible as well, which has a nice voice.....and also listen to rain on a noise (asmr) app.... plus use some herbal supplements occasionally, Kalms and Melissa Dream....If all else fails, half a small dose of zopiclone.

I hope you nail this one buddy, it is tough not sleeping.

Stay well

Children
No Data