Going to a concert on your own

I went to my first concert in August 2022 - Westlife at Wembley Stadium. A choice for my first concert but I intended to make a day of it in London and meet friends (which didn't go to plan).

I've just come back from my second concert - JLS at the Birmingham Utilita Arena. Very different circumstances from the last one; no friends and my confidence level is as low as it can be. I did wear my sunflower lanyard this time.

I think in both cases the fear of judgement got the better of me. I was able to bob side to side, clap and mouth along to the song but I didn't let myself dance.

Getting caught up in those big crowds when leaving was hard - it's this part I wish I had someone with me for. Also walking through town on my own at night - I can appreciate how scary it can be for women/femme people.

I know I can do it but I think just for my own safety and comfort I'd prefer people with me.

I remember when I was 18, I had to go for this job assessment day thing. I had to wear a suit, make notes about sales, and it was like a 12 hour day. Came home and was pretty upset, insisting that I have someone with me next time I have to go for a job interview or something.

I'm mixed with it. I don't always need company, but I know now the value of it. I'm awkward enough on my own, it's worse when I've got more to think about.

Yeah, just in a reflective mood. I'm glad I did it though, it was nice to have my annual night out (!).

Parents
  • I almost went to Edinburgh on my own to see Devo, But I was busy that week and wasn't able to go. I was really gutted. But I don't think I would have gone on the trip alone anyway. 

• I almost went to Edinburgh on my own to see Devo, But I was busy that week and wasn't able to go. I was really gutted. But I don't think I would have gone on the trip alone anyway. 

Children
No Data