My friendship has ended over a stupid mistake.

My friends bf dad had a stroke in March. And he’s only just come home. The bf got him an Alexa to call for help if he fell and I laughed.

Just at older people using the Alexa, not his dad falling over. Don’t ask why I laughed I just did. The bf never wants to see me again and never wants me in the flat. He’s been crying because of it. I feel so bad.

my friend has said they need space from me for a few months so they can figure out what to do/if they still want to be friends with me.

this so all over a misunderstanding. I don’t understand why I’ve been cut out of their life’s. I haven’t been sleeping, I’ve been off work and I’ve been crying in bed when I’m at home.

I’ve said sorry but it hasn’t helped. I don’t know what to do or how to feel. I feel like I’m just waiting for them to text me to confirm it’s over.

my depression is bad. And it’s getting worse. 

Parents
  • I'm sorry to hear that such a misunderstanding has caused you so much distress.

Personally I think your reaction is very understandable. The juxtaposition between old people and modern technology is funny! There are so many examples of this, such as:

https://www.newsweek.com/80-year-olds-use-amazon-alexa-first-time-viral-tiktok-1690764

I set up my elderly mum with Alexa devices for exactly the same reason, so that she can call for help if she falls and cannot get to a phone. Watching her learn to use it definitely had lots of amusing moments but now she uses it all the time for all sorts of things.

Try not to beat yourself up over what was just a misunderstanding. All you can do is explain and apologise but if they are not willing to understand then you can do no more.

• I'm sorry to hear that such a misunderstanding has caused you so much distress.

Personally I think your reaction is very understandable. The juxtaposition between old people and modern technology is funny! There are so many examples of this, such as:

https://www.newsweek.com/80-year-olds-use-amazon-alexa-first-time-viral-tiktok-1690764

I set up my elderly mum with Alexa devices for exactly the same reason, so that she can call for help if she falls and cannot get to a phone. Watching her learn to use it definitely had lots of amusing moments but now she uses it all the time for all sorts of things.

Try not to beat yourself up over what was just a misunderstanding. All you can do is explain and apologise but if they are not willing to understand then you can do no more.

Children
No Data