Ambiguity - The Enemy of the Autistic?

How do you lovely people cope / deal with ambiguity?
I'm guessing that most autistic people would struggle, or is it just me?

For me, ambiguity can lead to assumptions.
Assumptions can lead to misunderstandings / incorrect interpretations.
misunderstandings / incorrect interpretations can lead to mistakes.

This is critical in my line of work (I work in IT) and ambiguity usually equals delays, excessive cost and poor quality.
I'm more than happy to expand on my situation if there is interest in this topic of conversation.

Parents
  • Your title sums up my feelings perfectly, (if you simply remove the question mark) in terms of my need for VERY clear and absolute instructions, if I am required to DO something.  These days, I will not embark on anything in my work life without first agreeing very clear and absolute instructions regarding the scope and remit of what I am expected to achieve.

I have not always known this about myself.  Prior to my realisation and acceptance of my autism, I believed that I was perfectly capable at "filling in the gaps" for myself.  Big mistake.....HUGE !!  After a couple of very confusing FUBAR situations in my work life, it became increasingly evident that some of the unfathomable "logic" of an NT brain is simply beyond my own comprehension.

"When you *** up, it makes a *** go ass shaped>?....."....no wait, that's not right?!

• Your title sums up my feelings perfectly, (if you simply remove the question mark) in terms of my need for VERY clear and absolute instructions, if I am required to DO something.  These days, I will not embark on anything in my work life without first agreeing very clear and absolute instructions regarding the scope and remit of what I am expected to achieve.

I have not always known this about myself.  Prior to my realisation and acceptance of my autism, I believed that I was perfectly capable at "filling in the gaps" for myself.  Big mistake.....HUGE !!  After a couple of very confusing FUBAR situations in my work life, it became increasingly evident that some of the unfathomable "logic" of an NT brain is simply beyond my own comprehension.

"When you *** up, it makes a *** go ass shaped>?....."....no wait, that's not right?!

Children
No Data