Ambiguity - The Enemy of the Autistic?

How do you lovely people cope / deal with ambiguity?
I'm guessing that most autistic people would struggle, or is it just me?

For me, ambiguity can lead to assumptions.
Assumptions can lead to misunderstandings / incorrect interpretations.
misunderstandings / incorrect interpretations can lead to mistakes.

This is critical in my line of work (I work in IT) and ambiguity usually equals delays, excessive cost and poor quality.
I'm more than happy to expand on my situation if there is interest in this topic of conversation.

Parents
  • Yes and often I don't even know it is happening until reflecting back after the conversation. I think it's built in at a fundamental level with a lot of allistic people. It has caused me problems in the past when I have asked for help (more than once),  the other person thinks they've helped, so do I, but can't work out why I'm still struggling then it all gets in a mess. It happens with friends who make vague plans but I think we have made proper plans. I'm learning to meet myself half way these days but it takes ongoing practise. I'm fortunate to be surrounded by many people who are quite direct which makes life a bit easier. Or I ask for clarification. 

"When you assume it makes an ass out of u and me!"

• Yes and often I don't even know it is happening until reflecting back after the conversation. I think it's built in at a fundamental level with a lot of allistic people. It has caused me problems in the past when I have asked for help (more than once),  the other person thinks they've helped, so do I, but can't work out why I'm still struggling then it all gets in a mess. It happens with friends who make vague plans but I think we have made proper plans. I'm learning to meet myself half way these days but it takes ongoing practise. I'm fortunate to be surrounded by many people who are quite direct which makes life a bit easier. Or I ask for clarification. 

"When you assume it makes an ass out of u and me!"

Children
No Data