Tired at the end of the day?

Does anyone else fine they are just exhausted come the end of the day? I am sleeping well, and I am fine when I am working (I work from home most of the time, so it's not like there is lots of social interaction to burn me out - just occasional zoom meetings).  I don't have any problems with my energy, but once I have finished, walked my dog and had something to eat, I just have nothing left in the tank.  Literally all I want to do is go and sit in bed.

I used to indulge in my hobbies and special interests in the early evening, but they have all just gone by the wayside as I just have nothing left, nor much motivation to do anything as I am so tired. I just sit in bed with Apple TV on.

Does this resonate with anyone else?  I never used to have this problem, but I just seem to have no energy at all these days once work is done.  Exercise doesn't seem to help much either.

Parents
  • I'm tired after about an hour of being awake. Lol. No matter how well I sleep I'm always exhausted once I wake up, like I'm not sleeping properly even though I am. My doctor thinks I might have fatigue. I think it's just autism where my brain is always thinking and worrying and trying to process everything. When I think about it it's no wonder I'm always shattered.

It resonates with me a lot. When you're constantly tired you have no energy for anything, even your hobbies and interests. This has been my experience. If I were you I'd see your doctor so they can make sure nothing untoward is causing your tiredness but in my case nothing has been found. 

I hope you start to feel less tired. Constantly being tired is no fun.

• I think it's just autism where my brain is always thinking and worrying and trying to process everything.

Have you tried learning to use meditation? There are practical versions of it that fit well with normal lives and are great for calming a hyperactive mind. I certainly find it helps me relax and focus when the "what if..." cycle starts.

It doesn't work for everyone but it may be worth considering if it brings some peace.

• Yes I've tried meditating before. I was following a video on youtube, thought it might help, and I also had a meditation book. I was hoping for good results. But I'm always on edge because of my anxiety disorder and I could never relax, always tense and anxious so I don't think the meditation had chance to work.

I stuck with it for a while, a couple of months I think but I stopped in the end. I think the anxiety is so bad I can't relax enough for it to take effect. If it improves then I'll give it a try.

• The problem I had at first with meditation was that I might be doing it wrong and there was too much expectation- YOU MUST RELAX!!! Once I learned that intention is better than nothing this was the first step. I was also on edge all the time as I didn't want to get interrupted and when I did it'd set anxiety off. It takes lot of practise but once you learn to sit with uncomfortable feelings, it becomes easier. I was lucky to be sble to attend a free nhs MBCT course and it was really helpful - this might be something to consider.

However, I do know when I was approaching and in burnout (if I've ever recovered....) no amount of meditation would help because I was too stressed and overloaded. I needed complete rest from the world to begin with. 

• I think the anxiety is so bad I can't relax enough for it to take effect.

It is a chicken and egg situation here but I know it is hard to break the hold of the anxiety.

I found it took starting in a quiet, safe place, having done a long workout and showered half an hour before so the body was tired, my heart rate was low and by breathing steady.

I would darken the room, lie down and wear an eye mask and earplugs to remove external stimuli them focus everything on my toes initially, really try to feel them without moving them too much and concentrate on relaxing them. The tiredness helps with that. It takes time so focus on one at a time and when complete move up to the soles of your feet, your ankle, calf etc and work up your body.

Avoid your naughty bits on the way up as they can get distracting, take a detour down your arms, one at a time them on up to your chest, neck and finally your cheeks, forehead and scalp.

When you get there your body should be fully relaxed, your mind quietened by the laser focus of the journey and you get to feel the clarity of having been able to block out unwanted thoughts on your journey so you have shut out the anxiety for a while - taken back control for a time.

With practice of doing this you need less prep, less environmental adaptation and it can be sped up so you can develop shortcuts to shutting out the anxiety and relaxing your body when you need to - this can take years mind you but it is invaluable when you need to sleep (I can switch off in seconds now), when you are in a high stress situation but need to remain calm to be able to respond an act and when you find yourself in physical pain from tense shoulders after being tense for hour after hour.

I had a teacher who taught this years ago (took a few hours) and gave me a recording of the instructions to play when following the steps - it felt a bit goofy at the time but it worked for me.

Some here have said it doesn't work for them and you may not be able to find the self control to get to the point needed, but it may still be worth a try.

• I think the anxiety is so bad I can't relax enough for it to take effect.

It is a chicken and egg situation here but I know it is hard to break the hold of the anxiety.

I found it took starting in a quiet, safe place, having done a long workout and showered half an hour before so the body was tired, my heart rate was low and by breathing steady.

I would darken the room, lie down and wear an eye mask and earplugs to remove external stimuli them focus everything on my toes initially, really try to feel them without moving them too much and concentrate on relaxing them. The tiredness helps with that. It takes time so focus on one at a time and when complete move up to the soles of your feet, your ankle, calf etc and work up your body.

Avoid your naughty bits on the way up as they can get distracting, take a detour down your arms, one at a time them on up to your chest, neck and finally your cheeks, forehead and scalp.

When you get there your body should be fully relaxed, your mind quietened by the laser focus of the journey and you get to feel the clarity of having been able to block out unwanted thoughts on your journey so you have shut out the anxiety for a while - taken back control for a time.

With practice of doing this you need less prep, less environmental adaptation and it can be sped up so you can develop shortcuts to shutting out the anxiety and relaxing your body when you need to - this can take years mind you but it is invaluable when you need to sleep (I can switch off in seconds now), when you are in a high stress situation but need to remain calm to be able to respond an act and when you find yourself in physical pain from tense shoulders after being tense for hour after hour.

I had a teacher who taught this years ago (took a few hours) and gave me a recording of the instructions to play when following the steps - it felt a bit goofy at the time but it worked for me.

Some here have said it doesn't work for them and you may not be able to find the self control to get to the point needed, but it may still be worth a try.

Children
No Data