Therapy

Hi,

Prior to my autism diagnosis I had around 8 sessions with a CBT therapist which I think did more harm than good. It was as a result of this that I saw a psychiatrist which set me on my journey to a diagnosis.

Since then I have been seeing a therapist who uses a “people centred approach”, which seems to largely involve her asking me how I feel about things.

I’ve had around a dozen sessions now and while the first few were cathartic, I now feel I’m at an impasse. This approach isn’t helping me find any solutions or move my life forward and I’m starting to panic a little, feeling that there is no hope.

Have any of you had a more positive experience of therapy, and if so was it a specific kind of therapy?

Parents Reply Children
  • I find talking therapy wasn't very helpful either. I get so anxious around people and one of my biggest problems is actually talking to people. . . the therapist I spoke to wasn't very helpful and promised she would help cure my autism.

That's been my only experience of therapy so far. I'm hoping next time will be a lot better and more successful.

• I saw a YouTube video recently that said the entire therapy industry is really designed for women. Talking about feelings is of less value to men. What we need is concrete action and solutions.

I’m minded to agree.