What do you consider a good apology?

I was fired up last night (which continued on to this morning) and decided to type up some apology 'letters' for the friends that I let down and hurt. I just put all my feelings down and didn't let myself get bogged down by grammar and sentence structure in the way I would have done in the past. I've talked about how bad I felt, the things I realise were hurtful to them and how much I want to do better.

I tried to approach it from a perspective of "I'll write this to get my feelings down but I won't send it". Maybe I will one day, but I do fear that it will make things worse.

I reached out to a few a couple months ago but didn't hear back. Probably because the message I wrote was so pathetically vague that it didn't display any actual learning. It was literally me going "I really valued our friendship and would be keen to have a conversation".

For you as an individual, what do you consider to be an apology that you would accept? 

Parents
  • i dunno, one that wasnt asked for or demanded what they didnt need to do, which was their choice to appologise and wasnt needed, is probably the best apology as that is the type which is more meant and real.

the apology my boss gives me is often the one i dont accept as thats usually forced by higher management and he definately doesnt mean it nor understand why hes giving it.

• i dunno, one that wasnt asked for or demanded what they didnt need to do, which was their choice to appologise and wasnt needed, is probably the best apology as that is the type which is more meant and real.

the apology my boss gives me is often the one i dont accept as thats usually forced by higher management and he definately doesnt mean it nor understand why hes giving it.

Children
  • Oh absolutely. I don’t take demands from anyone I don’t respect, nor do give more than one explanation to any one person, usually I give an abuser of my nature three unprompted-attempts to punish themselves. You could say that makes me a pushover and it does, but it also makes my own execution-of-justice all the more reasonable, in the eyes of my peers anyway.

My dignity is no one’s punching-bag, I prefer to be the punching-bag, at least until it’s time not to be..