Grief

This is a bit of a heavy question, but have any of you found that you don’t grieve normally?

My dad died of Covid at the height of the delta wave, a week before the vaccinations started. Everyone around me was upset, crying at the funeral etc but I felt nothing at all and have never grieved. For me he was there and now he isn’t. The only thing I feel is disappointment in myself for not being more upset.

But I have since read that autistic people may not experience grief in the same way as neurotypicals. I can’t help likening it to the way I forget to speak to family and friends for months at a time. If people aren’t physically in front of me I don’t really think about them very much.

Ironically, I’m 100% certain that my dad was autistic too. He was a remarkably unsentimental man who would probably be irritated that I worry about this.

Parents
  • We all experience grief different and in our own way

There's no right or wrong way - you do it in your own time your way. 

I've lost people close to me and I always feel numb and not really sure how I should feel or react. It hits home hard later and then I never stop missing the person who passed away

And can't get them off my mind.

I'm sorry for your loss x

• We all experience grief different and in our own way

There's no right or wrong way - you do it in your own time your way. 

I've lost people close to me and I always feel numb and not really sure how I should feel or react. It hits home hard later and then I never stop missing the person who passed away

And can't get them off my mind.

I'm sorry for your loss x

Children
No Data