When random thoughts affect your mood

I don't know if this is an autistic experience or something else.

I could be going about my day, minding my own business, and suddenly I'm reminded of a horrible thing someone said to me or a really bad mistake that I made. Suddenly it completely takes me off track.

It alters my mood almost instantly, and I didn't even choose to think about that thing. It just popped into my head, and it won't leave for a while.

Sort of related: I did a few diagnostic tests for OCD and I scored quite highly on all of them.

Parents
  • Hey, yeah, I get this. It's an anxiety thing for me and past trauma, I've got PTSD and this causes these horrible flashbacks and the anxiety makes me go from feeling positive and happy to suddenly being reminded about horrible things that have happened. My brain is self destructive, likes to ruin my day LOL. I wish I had more control of my thoughts but they move faster than I can think, really frustrating to deal with.

• Hey, yeah, I get this. It's an anxiety thing for me and past trauma, I've got PTSD and this causes these horrible flashbacks and the anxiety makes me go from feeling positive and happy to suddenly being reminded about horrible things that have happened. My brain is self destructive, likes to ruin my day LOL. I wish I had more control of my thoughts but they move faster than I can think, really frustrating to deal with.

Children