Is it my fault

My daughter is now 16 but we have had several years of trouble with school mainly ended up taking her out to home school her numerous other problems 

Just recently going down the diagnosis route which has made me look hard at my own life I am not diagnosed but all my research tells me I am Autistic myself.

I am now 58 and split from my wife who does'nt understand either of us it explains a lot of how my life has been and still is I find I fully understand my daughter when she tells me how she feels which is a blessing but I keep thinking is it my fault did she inherit it from me I guess I am asking does it run in the family inherited if you will

Parents
  • Hello Richard, welcome to the forum.

I believe that autism does run in some families, I feel sure my late mother was on the spectrum, but I don't blame her; we can't be held personally responsible for carrying an inheritable condition. 

I was diagnosed three years ago at the age of 67 after nearly a lifetime of difficulties and misunderstanding, repeatedly being diagnosed with anxiety. I wish I could have known earlier, but am just thankful that I know now.  Knowledge has brought relief.

Ben

• Hello Richard, welcome to the forum.

I believe that autism does run in some families, I feel sure my late mother was on the spectrum, but I don't blame her; we can't be held personally responsible for carrying an inheritable condition. 

I was diagnosed three years ago at the age of 67 after nearly a lifetime of difficulties and misunderstanding, repeatedly being diagnosed with anxiety. I wish I could have known earlier, but am just thankful that I know now.  Knowledge has brought relief.

Ben

Children
  • Thanks for the reply not sure I am strong enough at the moment to get myself diagnosed, Concentrating on my daughter at the moment she has her whole life ahead of her,

I to have anxiety listed as main suspect as well as the depression to the faults in my life

Not sure about you but just being told to shut up and get on with it from all around you including doctors did'nt help much I HOPE I can do better for my daughter