Not recognising when someone likes you

Most of my life i have never been able to recognise when someone likes me, be it male or female, frienship or romanticly. As i have got older i do recognise this better. Also, i never gave marriage a thought. I just didnt think it applied to me. It was never something i considered. 

I also didnt know that i was good at anything. I have always given 150%. This of course has been exhausting. If i couldnt do it well, then i wouldnt want to do it. 

Only in recent years have i recognised these traits. Nothing has changed, except i understand myself better. 

Are these typical traits for autistic people? X

Parents
  • This lack of ability to read other people is a big problem for autistics. There seem to be two reactions autistic people make, 1) they  are baffled by interactions, become socially withdrawn and do not allow themselves to become socially or emotionally vulnerable, this results in few friendships and little or no romance, or 2) because they cannot gauge accurately what another person thinks of them through non-verbal signals, become very socially brave, allow themselves to be emotionally vulnerable, accept that rejection might happen, but try to make contact with others, this results in 'knock backs', but also more friendships and a much greater chance of making a romantic connection. I have been both of these types, and the second is preferable.

• This lack of ability to read other people is a big problem for autistics. There seem to be two reactions autistic people make, 1) they  are baffled by interactions, become socially withdrawn and do not allow themselves to become socially or emotionally vulnerable, this results in few friendships and little or no romance, or 2) because they cannot gauge accurately what another person thinks of them through non-verbal signals, become very socially brave, allow themselves to be emotionally vulnerable, accept that rejection might happen, but try to make contact with others, this results in 'knock backs', but also more friendships and a much greater chance of making a romantic connection. I have been both of these types, and the second is preferable.

Children
No Data