Drowning Not Waving

Hi

Since my diagnosis about 10 years ago (as a mature adult), none of my close relatives, (including those that are now deceased, my own mother for example), have ever engaged with me on being autistic. The few that are still alive will not even say the word, and have never said it, not once. They ignore the whole thing. I only communicate by email nowadays due to a number of problems, and if I mention how my autism is affecting me in some way, or some aspect of it, even just in passing, they wholesale ignore it, like I never said anything! I find this just bizarre.

I also find this to provoke a number of things, I find it pretty hurtful, confusing, depressing & insulting to be honest. But there's not much I can do about it. I either accept this dynamic, or have no contact at all (from their end).

Has anyone experienced similar? Or experiencing similar? I'd be interested to hear.

Good wishes

Parents
  • I wonder if it because they dont understand so fail to find out more about what being autistic means? I think this response is common, even amongst the medical proffesionals. Perhaps some are autistic too. It just isnt recognised. How would they feel if it were them? 

1. It is hurtful. Its lonely. This is why we need to raise awareness of being autistic. 
  • I wonder if it because they dont understand so fail to find out more about what being autistic means? I think this response is common, even amongst the medical proffesionals. Perhaps some are autistic too. It just isnt recognised. How would they feel if it were them? 

1. It is hurtful. Its lonely. This is why we need to raise awareness of being autistic. 
Children
No Data