Going to GP on Monday

Hi all, 

I have a GP appointment on Monday morning to discuss and request a referral for assessment. I have looked up a lot of advice for this but thought I would ask on this to hear from people with lived experience. I have made a list of behaviours, difficulties and experiences etc that I think could be linked to Autism and back up my request for a referral.

However, I feel the list has gotten a bit messy and long and i'm worried things will just get lost in translation when I'm talking with my GP.

Does anyone have advice on the main things I might want to look at getting across that will be the most impactful in convincing my GP for a referral? I'm really anxious that I will be denied a referral and I will be left no further forward and feel even more lost. 

Any advice about the whole process would be appreciated.

Parents
  • EuanF

I will be honest, I never saw my GP once in the whole process. I simply sent an email - said I wanted a referral for an autism diagnosis (already had ADHD & dyspraxia diagnosis) and they sent me back a 1 page form. I think it was questions where you rate your reply like "Do you do x" 1-5. I emailed the test back, they sent the referral. 

I wouldn't worry you have to be too persuasive, simply telling/asking them that you want the referral should be evidence enough, what right do they have to say 'No"?!

Good luck! Keep us posted!  

• EuanF

I will be honest, I never saw my GP once in the whole process. I simply sent an email - said I wanted a referral for an autism diagnosis (already had ADHD & dyspraxia diagnosis) and they sent me back a 1 page form. I think it was questions where you rate your reply like "Do you do x" 1-5. I emailed the test back, they sent the referral. 

I wouldn't worry you have to be too persuasive, simply telling/asking them that you want the referral should be evidence enough, what right do they have to say 'No"?!

Good luck! Keep us posted!  

Children