Masking, or....?

Hello folks :) 

I am part of a separate autism friendly group (on WhatsApp and Zoom) and recently we have been talking about masking but I am a bit too shy to say that....I don't really understand.

Like - am I supposed to be able to tell if I'm masking and if I'm not? The group organiser said some people just simply don't mask, so maybe I am one of those? I am very newly diagnosed so I'm still trying to get my head around all the terms and facts and stuff. 

Like, I can tell sometimes I am forcing eye contact or forcing a laugh or something, especially with new people, but with people like close family I feel just like I am kind of myself with - so I don't understand where the lines are?

Can anyone explain how they view masking - then maybe I can relate?

Thank you in advance for reading and/or replying. 

Parents Reply Children
  • SO by this standard, yes I mask all the time to fit in.

This is true of many autists and explains why so many feel exhausted by the end of the day when they have been acting constantly.

It is a common factor in burnout and in some cases meltdown when the energy required to maintain this - do the right type of masking at the right time and never let it slip - exceeds out ability to recharge.

Recharging normally takes the form of being authentic at home, stimming, following our special interests or sometimes just lying down, staring at the ceiling.

Throw in a few extra stressers - a difficult day at work, an inexpected confrontation on the commute home, breaking your phone, getting bad news etc and it can push us over the edge into burnout or meltdown that are much harder to get over.

This is why I advocate finding ways to control & dial down the masking if you can - it can save you from some nasty situations.

• Okay okay okay, I get it so much more now. Iain you are so articulate and knowledgable on this subject! 

So every time I am denying my natural impulse to speak out, stim, etc I am masking. Similarly, if I force myself to hug or shake a strangers hand (I hate both) I am masking. 

SO by this standard, yes I mask all the time to fit in. Smile when I don't want to, make small talk when I hate it, ask about peoples days and stuff? All masking. My natural state is silent and on my own. 

This is very useful information and I appreciate your post so much. I am going to take a screenshot and use it to remind myself every time I wonder 'am I masking?'. 

• if I intentionally don't stim around people, I am masking, is that a good example? 

It is if you have to suppress the stim.

As is when you meet someone, force yourself to make eye contact and shake hands when you would rather look away and not touch those clammy, germ ridden hands.

Or when you are in a meeting and have to keep a straight face when you just want to wrinkle your nose, squeeze your eyes shut and make popping sounds with your mouth.

Where you modify your normal behaviour - that is your mask. By being different to what you want to do normally you are portraying a different, fake facet of yourself that takes energy to create & maintain.

Many autists report that it takes considerably less energy to reduce the level of masking they perform but only when the anxiety they feel by being their authentic selves is not overloading themselves.

Some of this drive to mask stems from low self confidence, some from trauma and some from a desire to "fit in" and be accepted. These are areas that need to be addressed to lower the anxiety and let us be authentic.