Hey NAS we are different not disabled

All her life my daughter has fought the stigma that being Autistic was defined as, first a "learning disabilty" and now a "disability". It has destroyed her life, made her feel inferior and sapped her self  confidence. Then to see the BBC describe autism as a "lifelong disability" made me furious. Then to find that the source of this bigotry is the definition on the NAS website makes me incandescent with rage. I too am Autistic. The NAS does not represent me or my daughter. The challenges which Autistic poeple face are not what we are but how we are misunderstood. For the NAS to insist on perpetuating these myths makes you part of the problem. I can only presume your definition of Autism was written and approved by a bunch of, perhaps well-meaning, poeple who suffer from Autism Deficiency Syndrome and who lack the flexibility of thought that Autism gives us and we, in turn, have given the world the technology which I am using to write this.

Parents
  • All her life my daughter has fought the stigma that being Autistic was defined as, first a "learning disabilty" and now a "disability".

As autonomistic has pointed out, the definition of a disability clearly matches that of autism.

It has destroyed her life, made her feel inferior and sapped her self  confidence.

I think you will find it is autism that is responsible for this, not the label of disability that it carries. If I'm wrong then please explain what the cause and effects are here to enlighten us.

Then to find that the source of this bigotry is the definition on the NAS website makes me incandescent with rage.

The definitions are not the source of any bigotry - people are the source. If you have people discriminating against someone with a disability then that makes them criminals - that is where your rage is best focussed agaist in my opinion

I don't believe this site claims to represent you - it is a collection of support and advice for people whether they are autistic or have connections with those who are.

If you took time to post here about the challenges you face then you may find we are a great support system with a lot of good information to help you come to your own conclusion about what to do.

• All her life my daughter has fought the stigma that being Autistic was defined as, first a "learning disabilty" and now a "disability".

As autonomistic has pointed out, the definition of a disability clearly matches that of autism.

It has destroyed her life, made her feel inferior and sapped her self  confidence.

I think you will find it is autism that is responsible for this, not the label of disability that it carries. If I'm wrong then please explain what the cause and effects are here to enlighten us.

Then to find that the source of this bigotry is the definition on the NAS website makes me incandescent with rage.

The definitions are not the source of any bigotry - people are the source. If you have people discriminating against someone with a disability then that makes them criminals - that is where your rage is best focussed agaist in my opinion

I don't believe this site claims to represent you - it is a collection of support and advice for people whether they are autistic or have connections with those who are.

If you took time to post here about the challenges you face then you may find we are a great support system with a lot of good information to help you come to your own conclusion about what to do.

Children
No Data