What help is out there for adults

If an adult is diagnosed with Autism, what help and support is available to them?  I have enquired about an assessment through my health centre and they sent me the AQ form to fill out online. My husband who I also think maybe Autistic said he wouldn’t bother having an assessment as they can’t do anything about it.  

Parents
  • It's not too far off to say none at all, other than places like this.

It some areas there may be entitlement to a very limited number of post diagnosis support sessions. Other areas offer nothing. You would need to ask what is available in your area.

Most adults who seek diagnosis do so as a way to understand themselves better and learn what is behind the struggles they have. It is really down to the individual to research and learn, many newly diagnosed autistics will deep dive into research as a new special interest. 

The problem has been discussed on here so many times, most recently https://community.autism.org.uk/f/mental-health-and-wellbeing/33616/how-to-get-support-as-an-adult-autist

If your husband wants to go down the diagnosis route has to be ultimately his decision. Perhaps ask yourself what you hope to achieve from it. He will still be the same person before and after diagnosis.

• It's not too far off to say none at all, other than places like this.

It some areas there may be entitlement to a very limited number of post diagnosis support sessions. Other areas offer nothing. You would need to ask what is available in your area.

Most adults who seek diagnosis do so as a way to understand themselves better and learn what is behind the struggles they have. It is really down to the individual to research and learn, many newly diagnosed autistics will deep dive into research as a new special interest. 

The problem has been discussed on here so many times, most recently https://community.autism.org.uk/f/mental-health-and-wellbeing/33616/how-to-get-support-as-an-adult-autist

If your husband wants to go down the diagnosis route has to be ultimately his decision. Perhaps ask yourself what you hope to achieve from it. He will still be the same person before and after diagnosis.

Children
No Data