Struggling…

I’m completely burnt out. I’m exhausted, depressed, unmotivated, irritable, hopeless…

I've been researching for help on how to recover but I can’t seem to find anything useful. All I can find is “focus on your special interests”… but I have no interest in those things at the moment!

I’m tired, but can’t sleep. I can barely talk, stumbling over my words constantly. No interest in doing anything at all. My body aches and I’m a zombie, no emotions, like I’m a robot. 

Doe’s anyone have any advice at all? I’m really losing hope. 

Parents
  • Evening Allie.

I know this sounds a bit daft.....but you did ask for ANY advice at all.....and I am a veteran of some pretty monumental burnouts.

My advice = FORWARD MOTION.

Walking forward, or being driven forward (in a car, bus, train) or cycling......lifted my mood....and with a lifted mood, you can often achieve just a few wee small things.....and when you manage to achieve a few wee small things, you feel encouraged, and that lifts your mood a little more etc etc.  It can start a minor positive feedback loop, in my experience.

I found my burnouts to feel like a seemingly endless cycle of awfulness...precisely as you have described above, although the most resonant words for me are "have no interest in doing anything at all."  I found that, it was worth FORCING myself to move physically forward because that seemed to jump-start my brain into some nominal form of life.

It all takes a lot of time in my experience.  Don't bully yourself or frustrate yourself by trying to do too much all at once.  Build back up to functionality carefully and gently.  Time is the biggest healer from burnout......in my opinion.

NEVER loose hope.  Hope springs eternal.  Things WILL improve.  Be patient.

• Evening Allie.

I know this sounds a bit daft.....but you did ask for ANY advice at all.....and I am a veteran of some pretty monumental burnouts.

My advice = FORWARD MOTION.

Walking forward, or being driven forward (in a car, bus, train) or cycling......lifted my mood....and with a lifted mood, you can often achieve just a few wee small things.....and when you manage to achieve a few wee small things, you feel encouraged, and that lifts your mood a little more etc etc.  It can start a minor positive feedback loop, in my experience.

I found my burnouts to feel like a seemingly endless cycle of awfulness...precisely as you have described above, although the most resonant words for me are "have no interest in doing anything at all."  I found that, it was worth FORCING myself to move physically forward because that seemed to jump-start my brain into some nominal form of life.

It all takes a lot of time in my experience.  Don't bully yourself or frustrate yourself by trying to do too much all at once.  Build back up to functionality carefully and gently.  Time is the biggest healer from burnout......in my opinion.

NEVER loose hope.  Hope springs eternal.  Things WILL improve.  Be patient.

Children
  • Agreed there's always hope and things do get better with time

But time can be a slow healer..... but it does heal.

Please take care of yourself and don't give up because you will get through this hard time.

We're all here for you :)