Struggling…

I’m completely burnt out. I’m exhausted, depressed, unmotivated, irritable, hopeless…

I've been researching for help on how to recover but I can’t seem to find anything useful. All I can find is “focus on your special interests”… but I have no interest in those things at the moment!

I’m tired, but can’t sleep. I can barely talk, stumbling over my words constantly. No interest in doing anything at all. My body aches and I’m a zombie, no emotions, like I’m a robot. 

Doe’s anyone have any advice at all? I’m really losing hope. 

Parents
  • I’m tired, but can’t sleep. I can barely talk, stumbling over my words constantly. No interest in doing anything at all. My body aches and I’m a zombie, no emotions, like I’m a robot. 

Sorry to hear that Allie - our thoughts are with you.

On a practical note - I found in these situaitons that the best way to deal with it at this stage is to withdraw from the world for a bit, medicate to get some sleep to let my body catch up from the prolonged stress and then have a few days of really low requirements.

I would stock up on some basics so I didn't need to leave the house or even do much cooking (fresh fruit like apples and oranges are good for this), curl up somewhere and focus on my breathing.

For stimulation I would put some fairly low focus requirement films on the TV and lie on the couch and let it wash over me (faitly low volume) until I felt able to get up and eat, go to the bathroom, shower or whatever and try to do a few bits of housework then before retreating again to the sofa.

Over a few days the energy starts to return and I could chose to do something different that I enjoyed - all at a slow pace and only when I felt ready for them.

For the medication I found antihystimines are great for sending me to sleep and low risk - plus they helped me sleep through the night. No medical advice intended of course.

Hang in there - it does pass.

• I’m tired, but can’t sleep. I can barely talk, stumbling over my words constantly. No interest in doing anything at all. My body aches and I’m a zombie, no emotions, like I’m a robot. 

Sorry to hear that Allie - our thoughts are with you.

On a practical note - I found in these situaitons that the best way to deal with it at this stage is to withdraw from the world for a bit, medicate to get some sleep to let my body catch up from the prolonged stress and then have a few days of really low requirements.

I would stock up on some basics so I didn't need to leave the house or even do much cooking (fresh fruit like apples and oranges are good for this), curl up somewhere and focus on my breathing.

For stimulation I would put some fairly low focus requirement films on the TV and lie on the couch and let it wash over me (faitly low volume) until I felt able to get up and eat, go to the bathroom, shower or whatever and try to do a few bits of housework then before retreating again to the sofa.

Over a few days the energy starts to return and I could chose to do something different that I enjoyed - all at a slow pace and only when I felt ready for them.

For the medication I found antihystimines are great for sending me to sleep and low risk - plus they helped me sleep through the night. No medical advice intended of course.

Hang in there - it does pass.

Children
  • Thank you, Iain!

I’ve read a lot about resting. I know that’s what I need, but there’s this ableist inner monologue that I have just for myself that tells me I don’t deserve to rest. I should be productive and successful at all times. I know it’s making me feel worse. I don’t understand it, I don’t think this way about anyone else, just myself. It’s horrible :/

Thanks for the advice, I’ll try anything at this point x